Anyone knows what this is?

rockshark

Dirt Disciple
Found this one for sale and I'm waiting to have some more pictures. It's said to be an GT Sirius, but I don't find anything about it. Anyone got some more information about? It got some shimano 100GS stuff on it.

51732333-mtb-siruis.jpg

Not GT – no pierced top tube, and they wouldn't have put a rear brake cable arch on it when some convoluted routing with plastic guides would suffice :D

It's the top tube that's the giveaway though ;)

I believe that Apollo made bikes with a similar design to GT (I think that they licensed the design off them at one point iIrc).

Xesh":238vo7a5 said:
I believe that Apollo made bikes with a similar design to GT (I think that they licensed the design off them at one point iIrc).

Yep they did! My first MTB was a lovely mild steel triple triangle Apollo and had a very small GT sticker in the seatube

Puch also made a triple triangle back in 1989-91 I seem to recall, simialr quality to the apollo

Hellenic frame (triple triangle) canvas used for individualized art it appears. Tough pic looks like an Araya RM-20 rim label in the rear with an SR crank so probably 87-90 something. Puch, Shogun or GT.

gm1230126":9m26prx8 said:
Hellenic frame .

Hellenic ?? I don't think that I've ever seen a Greek manufactured frame :? The most common make there is "Ideal" - and they're Taiwanese......

Small piece of bike history for you bike frames are of two basic types these days.

"Arche" type is what is commom in most brands

1923 a frame builder by the name of Fred Hellens introduced the extended seat stay top tube frame which in frame building circles and inside the bike industry as the "hellenic" frame type

Scroll down past the track racer middle of the first page at this link for more history lesson.
http://www.hetchins.org/403.htm

gm1230126":2nccamg1 said:
1923 a frame builder by the name of Fred Hellens introduced the extended seat stay top tube frame which in frame building circles and inside the bike industry as the "hellenic" frame type

Well, there you go - you learn something new every day ;)

Though it does beg the question why not refer to them as "Hellens" type frames rather than "Hellenic", which basically just means "Greek".
Or it does to this (admittedly ignorant) Manxman, - I still have a lot to learn obviously.... :roll:

Back