Info please on early kona fire mountain

TheGrogster

Retro Newbie
I'm considering buying this bike. Anyone able to tell me anything about the frame or date it please? I read on here that some of the early 90s frames had variable handling and weight. It would be good to hear some more about this one if anyone knows anything.

Plan is to build it up with IGH and a riser bar for a relaxed riding position. Apologies if that offends any purists! Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709-194151.png
    Screenshot_20230709-194151.png
    700.7 KB · Views: 20
I'm considering buying this bike. Anyone able to tell me anything about the frame or date it please? I read on here that some of the early 90s frames had variable handling and weight. It would be good to hear some more about this one if anyone knows anything.

Plan is to build it up with IGH and a riser bar for a relaxed riding position. Apologies if that offends any purists! Thanks
Kona fire mountain, nice entry level. Should be 1992. I had a 93’ but never found the wheels for it so sold it on.

The one your showing looks quite original, joe Murray tyres, original grips from what I can tell and saddle.

If I were you, depending on how much it is, I would keep it original. But hey, whatever makes you happy👍

Its a '93.

All Kona's are nice riding bikes due to the frame design, different models have different feel due to different tubesets used.

Good bike, you might get a few quid for the tyres if they are in good condition. Kona were among the first big companies to start steepening angles and going with a more modern ( for the time) geometry. A lot of these early Konas had quite tall head tubes as you can see on this example so you may not need a huge rise on your bars to be comfortable. Always a good basis for drop bar conversions at the front too with the extra height.

Back