orange clockwork fork

mags

Retro Newbie
Anyone know what length fork I can put on my 1998 clockwork? Had the bike since new and love it but it needs a new fork. It currently has the original RST 381R that it came with, no idea what travel that has. Can I put a 100mm fork on without making it handle oddly or would I be best sticking to 80mm? I thoght 80mm would be better but not sure.
Any advice would be great

80mm fella with low crown to dropout distance measure you existing one to get exact hight 100mm will make handing very sloppy and all over the shot and slow ;) :cool:

I asked Orange about that ,they said it was best suited to an 80mm sus fork,when i enquired if a 100mm was pushing it they said most definitely,said it would slacken the front end beyond their design
So i put on an 80mm 1999 Z2 bam ,its a good match for the frame,i really blasted hell out the pair of them,i havent felt as comfortable as when i rode that bike offroad
Get a Z2 bam from 99 they really are the bees knees :D and on a clockwork or P7 :cool: :cool: :cool:

I wouldn't put any modern forks on it - even with the same travel they tend to be taller than older forks.

I used to have a set of Pace evo 2's on a bike and swapped them for a set of '07 Pace RC39's. They were the same travel but about 3.5 cm taller and totally changed the handling of the bike, kicking my weight onto the back wheel.

Incidently Evo2's went great on my 98 clockwork. Someone is selling a set of proclass' on the sale section here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51677 doesn't say if they are 80 or 100mm but u can alter them anyway.

dyna-ti what year was the P7 you had the Z2 on?

D_XZ":xc5rkn2p said:
I wouldn't put any modern forks on it - even with the same travel they tend to be taller than older forks.

I used to have a set of Pace evo 2's on a bike and swapped them for a set of '07 Pace RC39's. They were the same travel but about 3.5 cm taller and totally changed the handling of the bike, kicking my weight onto the back wheel.

Incidently Evo2's went great on my 98 clockwork. Someone is selling a set of proclass' on the sale section here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51677 doesn't say if they are 80 or 100mm but u can alter them anyway.

dyna-ti what year was the P7 you had the Z2 on?

It was a 98 z2,now i think about it

I had a 98 Z2 on on a 98 clockwork ,clockwork was terrible shade of lime green,i didnt pick the colour,it came direct from the factory and i suppose thats why they upgraded the forks to the alloy ones,making up for the yucky colour typically i wanted the standard fork with the welded crown
It was the red one [a z2 bam],i think it was the first year that had the disc mount made to IS ,i also had a 97 z2 light ,the only difference was the light consisted of an alloy steerer and the disc mount was for an early betamax version of the formula :LOL: :LOL:

Back