VIRLICCHI 'Iron horse'

alanf

Senior Retro Guru
any good? I may know where ones going fairly cheap! and local to me! just the frame, rear swing arm and shock for £80?

i dont think these were the best suspension design but they would make a great retro build. they were there in the thick of it in the days of early full suspension. thats my thoughts anyhoo

A friend of mine had one BITD and even then with no experience of full sussers a quick ride confirmed all was not right.

The brake rub whilst accelerating was immense all caused by a rear end with all the rigidity of severly over cooked pasta.

God only knows what they would be like now, worn bushes etc.

Use these words to make a sentence: barge, touch, pole, it, wouldn't, a, with.

Jim

lewis1641":3g8vs7ng said:
i dont think these were the best suspension design

Okay, I take that ...but we should see that in the perspective it is a 1992 design of course. By 1992 there were no FS designs that even come close to what we nowadays consider best design. 1992 was the 1st year a FS raced to DH Worlds victory ! (yes, an IH)

I own a Verlicchi myself. I like the ride a lot. With adjusted riding I can still do my XC track at great pace. I lose some uphill, but gain downhill. Steady big ring pushing and no out the saddle hammering makes it a quite capable do-it-all machine.

I do not experience any flex or loose bushings with my frame. Must admit my bike isn't raced for thousands of miles. Before I got it it was hardly ridden and with me it is only one of many bikes over which use is spread.

My impression of the frame is that it is neatly made. Welding looks more tidy than most frames around and it is completely anodized. The contrast colour of swing and cable guides is a nice touch.

I had a conversation with the team manager of the Barracuda squad in 1994, and because the Barracuda FS designs weren't that great in 94, they brought in some Verlicchi bikes, painted them up in Dos Equis team colours, and won some races.

Yes, they were an early 90's design, but compared to other early 90's designs, they weren't that bad. I mean, look at the teams that used them, Diamond Back, Iron Horse, Barracuda, etc.

If it were me, I'd grab it for the "Vintage" quality of the bike. And hey, if you don't, mind sending me the info on it so I can? :)

If this is the frame for sale (purple back end) with cranks, pedals and front mech included then I looked into this about 18 months ago. Looked to be a decent frame. If its the same one it looks to be running a disc tab :?

Very strange :?

c5960981.jpg

M

A friend of mine had one of these bitd. Silver main frame and blue ano. everything else. Looked the business when it was clean and shiny.

Back