VIRLICCHI 'Iron horse'

I've seen several Verlicchis with Formulas. Probably the mounts came available as option in the final years of production. That it is a later one can also be derived by the fact that it has bottle mounts. Earlies hadn't, as Verlicchi probably reasoned you don't drink in a DH race. Apparently the market (or the mags!) did demand them.

What wories me a bit with the -quite severely used- frame pictured above is that the original shock and that a slightly longer example has been mounted back.

This is with proper shock =>

234350821_fa62e6e923_b.jpg

As the shock is an integral part of the construction the longer shock does move the swing out position and influences the wheelbase and angle. It will look funny too. Already only for those reasons I would say a new shock has to be found.

Elev12k":22yykgl0 said:
lewis1641":22yykgl0 said:
i dont think these were the best suspension design

Okay, I take that ...but we should see that in the perspective it is a 1992 design of course. By 1992 there were no FS designs that even come close to what we nowadays consider best design. 1992 was the 1st year a FS raced to DH Worlds victory ! (yes, an IH)

I own a Verlicchi myself. I like the ride a lot. With adjusted riding I can still do my XC track at great pace. I lose some uphill, but gain downhill. Steady big ring pushing and no out the saddle hammering makes it a quite capable do-it-all machine.

I do not experience any flex or loose bushings with my frame. Must admit my bike isn't raced for thousands of miles. Before I got it it was hardly ridden and with me it is only one of many bikes over which use is spread.

My impression of the frame is that it is neatly made. Welding looks more tidy than most frames around and it is completely anodized. The contrast colour of swing and cable guides is a nice touch.
#

that was kinda my point but badly made i guess. by modern standards they are not as good but they were there at the beginning, like you say they were winning downhills at world level.

i would certainly love to own one

letmetalktomark":1dba0avn said:
If this is the frame for sale (purple back end) with cranks, pedals and front mech included then I looked into this about 18 months ago. Looked to be a decent frame. If its the same one it looks to be running a disc tab :?

Very strange :?

c5960981.jpg

M

that is indeed the very same one!

Back