Cannondale Super V. Questions.

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I remember ogling these things BITD and after a few years sabbatical I'm perving at all things retro again. Got an Eldridge Grade and an M900 Cannondale but I can't help looking at the Super V and wanting one. Plus they're decently priced these days and as far as I'm concerned still look the business.

So my questions....do they ride well? Any weaknesses or models to avoid? I don't like the earlier ones with the big carbon swing arm. Ive seen ones with what looks like a Fox Alps 4 rear shock and remember blowing one of them on an FSR a (good) few years back and being unable to get it serviced. Anybody successfully replaced this or is the eye to eye length restrictive?

Also does anybody out there still service the headshok?
Are there any downside to the Ravens over a standard V? De-bonding of the seat mast assembly?
I'm just over 6'1". Should I be aiming for the large/19.5" frame I'm guessing?

Thanks in advance

They ride like the 90's full sussers did. For sure the Super V's were not from the worst end like URT (Klein, Trek etc.) and similar pogo-designs (Trek), but maybe not par to the best horst link designs. BUT: The simplicity is a big bonus of the Cannondales single pivot arm. No too much flex, only slight bobbing under pedalling, and not a zillion bushings to be replaced.

Things to avoid:
- Earliest years models 93-96. Short rear shocks, first generations of Headshoks with very limited travel.
- Super V Raven 2nd generation (S-curved frame), recalled for reason.
- Super V 2003 bonded "one piece" swingarms. Service bulletin because of cracking. The tubular welded cage swingarms are fine.

The problem of the shocks is that only Risse racing still produces new short stroke shocks. Servicing the old Fox Alps 4/5/Vanilla (5 to 5.75") can be hard as Fox no longer stock spare parts. For serviceability would advice choosing as late model as possible. Conversion to "über V" can be nice project (Jekyll swingarm and a longer more readily available 6,5" shock) on Super V frame. Then probably want a lefty/moto front fork for balance if front/rear travel, not a Headshok.

For different shock lengths/years refer to https://vintagecannondale.com/info/rearswingarm/

L size would be originally appropriate for you. Not M size, for sure. Maybe even XL if you want to put a short stem and wider / riser bars for more relaxed riding position. I'm 5'8 and use that kind of cockpit on L size. For me an XC cockpit on a L size is a bit too long to be comfortable on a longer ride, should be M then.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back