Stanchion tube re-anodizing - Anyone done this?

digitalkreation

Retro Guru
Has anyone tried to re-anodize the stanchion tubes of a Manitou fork? The black looks nice and all, but put a shot of blue there on some 3's or some red for the EFC's and I think it might give it a little "kick"..

Anyone seen this done?

digitalkreation":2ordtvf7 said:
Has anyone tried to re-anodize the stanchion tubes of a Manitou fork? The black looks nice and all, but put a shot of blue there on some 3's or some red for the EFC's and I think it might give it a little "kick"..

Anyone seen this done?
nice idea, but i'd always exchange the manitou 3 stanchions for manitou 4 ones anyway. manitou 3 stanchions are the worst ever! they corrode quickly and start to crack once the anodization is off...

Good tip, I didn't know that.

Say, on a side note, what is the compatibility between Manitou's anyhow? I mean, between the 2's, 3's and 4's, are most things direct-fit swaps between them?

digitalkreation":bf6jaqsa said:
Good tip, I didn't know that.

Say, on a side note, what is the compatibility between Manitou's anyhow? I mean, between the 2's, 3's and 4's, are most things direct-fit swaps between them?
i don't know about manitou 1 and first manitou sport stanchions.
the manitou 2 stanchions are possibly the same as the earlier ones but deffinitely different to later models. don't think they are alloy.
manitou 3 ones are anodised alloy with an insert on the end. 1993 manitou sport have the same ones.
manitou 4 and manitou comp have superior stanchions. they look a bit golden. essential difference is that they are teflon coated or somthing like that. manitou efc ones are that way too but possibly longer.
-> get a manitou comp for cheap and swap the stanchions on your manitou 3.

Ditto all above.
Manitou 2 stancions are a one off, as are the 1. MRC dis an alloy kit for the 1 though.

The reason not to go coloured ano on the stancions is down to hardness. There are essentially 2 types of anodisisng, "sulphuric" which is all the colours we love, and "Hard" anodising, that hs serious harness for wear resistance. Usually Black or the M4 goldish-greeny tinge.
Sulphuric will last no time on stancions, but it will look great!
Try colured lizardskins for boots to add colour and pracicality with no down side ;)

I've found a Manitou Magnum which has the gold coloured stanchions. Would this be just as good as the Comp? Think they're the same ones?

digitalkreation":2qgd1a63 said:
I've found a Manitou Magnum which has the gold coloured stanchions. Would this be just as good as the Comp? Think they're the same ones?

The gold colour is a titanium nitride finish (TiN), not anodising. ;) Gold anno would last about a week.

digitalkreation":1qq48rgo said:

If you end up cannibalising them, could I buy the fork brace off you? My Magnums' brace was attacked by it's previous owner to help V-Brakes go on. Cut bits out with a hacksaw. :roll:

Back