Painting a chrome fork....

Martin

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone has any experience with this?
What should I do to make a chrome fork paint ready?

Thanks.

The chrome will have to be shot or sand blasted off or the paint will never stick. Then the usual, de-grease, acid etch primer, 2 coats of high build, flat down, 2 coats of colour then a nice laquer coat to finish off. Jobs a good-un ;)

Im not really clued up on chrome,but im under the impression that nothing sticks to it
I suppose to provide a key for the paint you would have to either strip all the chrome off or at least sand it till its rough all over and no shiny patches or sections left anywhere

Dr S got there first ,he's better to advise you

dyna-ti":14h3y39k said:
Im not really clued up on chrome,but im under the impression that nothing sticks to it
I suppose to provide a key for the paint you would have to either strip all the chrome off or at least sand it till its rough all over and no shiny patches or sections left anywhere

Dr S got there first ,he's better to advise you

I'm a little surprised by that as my road frame has 1/2 chromed rear end with paint overlapping on it, and weren't the original stumpjumpers chromed then painted?. I's probably not the best surface to paint on to but I can't believe that nothing will stick to it. A decent frame builder/restorer should help you - try Bob Jacksons

Nice example of paint over chrome:

IMG_0189_800.jpg

Similar to my bike where the chrome extends way past the start of the paint (only found out the chrome extended all the way after a heavt chainsuck incident. A number of frame builders in the 70s used chrome under paint to give extra sparkle and shine.

EDIT to above: I am not saying here that a framebuilder/sprayer won't want to get all the chrome off first, but chrome can be painted on and has been done for many many years on bicycles

i think old based paints stuck better,modern water based paints dont iirc,but i could be wrong.have you tried cleaning the chrome up instead?

Thanks all, so I think I will give it a shot, cant use the forks otherwise.
Make it a good sand and do my best. Will show the result here later on.

Cheers,
Martin

Back