Clockwork geometry changes

D_XZ

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
What are the geometry differences between an early 90's clockwork frame and a 98? I can get the 98's figures from the '97c16r catalogue on this site (I think it's safe to assume its the same) but the cat also mentions the frame is suspension corrected.

So what was the pre 'suspension corrected' geometry like? And how screwed up is the ride if you stick suspension on anyway? My forks are Pace rc36 evo2's if thats any help.

I ask because I have a 99 frame which is a little too small and have the chance of a larger, but older vesion and I don't want to give up my sus forks as I want this to be useful offroad bike.

Hadn't they gone over to a 1 1/8 head tube by 1999 in any case? If so, you'd need to fit a 1" steerer to your RC36, if you could find one. Others will know better than me how easy/feasible that is with an RC36 Evo2.

As far as geometry is concerned, the RC36 is way longer than the early 90s rigid forks, even if you have it set at 70mm travel, so you would be slackening the head angle quite a lot. Opinions differ, I wouldn't do it, but there are those who say it works fine for them.

"Angles" should be pretty much the same around 71/73 most probably, unless like a few modern ones your newer C16R (wouldn't call them clockworks myself ;), be like calling a P7 a Prestige) has slack angles below the 70's in the head so the handling doesn't bugger up as you get lower on the forks.

Anyways, the old clockwork frames (I assume you're talking ~ pre 93 times) would have standard correct length forks and not 'suspension corrected' lengths that rigid forks have nowadays.
Think of it this way, for every couple of inches travel you will slacken the head angles by ~1 degree and raise the front by ~1"
So to original suspension forks (MAG21 and the like) would slacken by a degree, then Judy at 60/70mm by a 1.5 to 2degree's, 100mm travel probably by 4 degrees etc, So unless you like laid back riding, and turn you laid back seatpost to be a laid forward seatpost and also like nice and high bottom brackets, then I would not bother. (even taking into consider sag and stuff)

So it's not so much the geometry that changes, it's the geometry wrt the fork length that changes.

You'd certainly need a new crown & steerer tube because (as has been said) an early 90's frame will have a 1" head tube.
It will also be designed for rigid 395mm forks. My 98 Clockwork (which is suspension corrected) just about copes with 70mm travel RC36 forks, but the 90mm setting is too long for the frame so I think you'll get very slack angles with an Evo 2 on an early frame.

Just as a point of note, even if you find a later, bigger frame you may still need a new crown as the head tube is shorter on the 17" and smaller frames. just depends which size you have now.

Mines a 19" but I'm 6'2" and just a little cramped with a 110mm stem which is already a little longer than I like for the effect on steering. I haven't committed myself to cutting the steerer down yet so plenty of length buried under a stack of spacers!

Shame, I really fancied the original orange/white paintwork but it sounds like I'd have to stick to its rigid forks. Didn't think about the headtube diameter... so a new heaset would also be in order as well as the steerer. I'm tempted to get it anyway and build it up seperately but I just know I'd never ride it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll leave it until I find a larger 98' Clockwork - and I DO call it a Clockwork in that year as Orange themselves reverted to that name :mrgreen: But I will accept that its not the same as the bike I used to wish for back in my school days!

If you want an orange - white fade keep your eyes open for the 1999 10th anniversary edition. ;) Same frame as yours but in the classic colours.

As for it being a proper Clockwork.....I'd say yes, they were in constant production from 1989 'til 1999. The C16R was just the 16th Revision of the Clockwork frame.

Don't know why they changed the name, but they soon changed it back again.

Not sure the same argument would stand up to scrutiny with the modern Clockworks though, but still a nice bike all the same.

I'll keep an eye out for the anniversary then - but I have strange feeling that ones going to command a premium!

Cheers for that

how big is your 98' by the way? ;)

just kidding!

The 1998 stats from their cat reads- head angle 70.5 degrees
seat angle 73.0 degrees
*Same suspension ready geometry as the 98 P7*

The C-16R in reality should have been called the C-20R
According to Orange as there have been 20 revisions since it's conception

In 1998 they renamed it Clockwork :D

And i effing sold my '98 :cry:

D_XZ":1sdhe10i said:
I'll keep an eye out for the anniversary then - but I have strange feeling that ones going to command a premium!

Cheers for that

how big is your 98' by the way? ;)

just kidding!

Oddly, I've not noticed a premium over any other orange-white Clockwork frames. Other colours don't fetch quite as much, but not far off. The 10th anniversary bit seems to make little difference.

Oh, and mines a 17" so you can forget that! ;) :D

Back