Machine Shops - Anyone ever sent small parts to be copied?

digitalkreation

Retro Guru
Hi all,

My query focuses around some bushings that can no longer easily be found for the Lawwill Leader fork I've purchased. I'm thinking of taking the necessary parts to a machine shop and having them make some for me.

Anyone ever tried this approach to their components or parts? If so, how'd it go?

Best,
Mark

its the best thing you can do. think about it, most obscure mtb bits were made by small machine shops in the first place. make sure you take them personally, either take a good drawing or get them to draw what you want, and only leave it with them when you are completely happy that they understand what you want. no good going to collect it and it ha sbeen made wrong.......you may also be suprised how cheap it may be, after all it is their profession and what may seem like something very complicated is infact quite quick and easy to make.

Almost anything can be repilcated but of course it will cost a lot if the batch quantites are small or a one off. I used to be a machinist and I have made a few items including one of the top caps on my suspension forks, but then I was not paying!

Thanks all for the comments.

Yes, I actually traded a few messages with Mert and Joe, but no help there, it's been too long since this thing's been made.

I'm going to speak to some local shops shortly about getting some bushings made. Anyone out there want to reserve a few for themselves, should I move forward?

Hey chaps. Yup, Mert is indeed a friendly chap, but bear in mind we're probably talking about Control Tech Leader 3 forks, are we not. A Lawwill design, but control tech machined, basically as they had the capacity to get the numbers up. .
Anyway. . .
On the 'Resource' thread, I did volunteer as a machinist, but I never seemed to make it on to the list- which is actually fine as I am WAY busy at the moment; and word of mouth has spread far enough to keep me busy.
I can do bushes no problem, but as the ol' machinist above says, bear in mind we're not talking about a production process that will be shelling out 500 an hour. This'll be a one off, so the cost is relatively higher, and for small batch manual maching doesn't get a whole heap cheaper taking 2 ratehr than one.
Tap me a PM dude and we'll chat more. Bear in mind all wise words above, and we probably have a way forward for you ;)

I had the pivot points and the spring collars made for an F4 AMP
Better made these days as the different alloys that are about now are far less prone to cracking,i noticed even the pivots still on the fork had cracks so the engineer replaced them all,and beefed up certain sections that looked weak
The only parts he couldnt make were the self lubing pivot sleeves ,i found that jockey wheel bushings are the same size and do the job great

[i suppose we can to some degree] re-design these parts using more modern materials

Back