Starting Out

bobriot

Dirt Disciple
I am quite new to RB.co.uk but not to MTB been with it since 1991. I quite fancy getting a rolling project off the ground. Any tips for a newbie like me? Suppose the best pace to start is with a frame and to work from there.

Hello and welcome!!

Its a wonderful place you have found, I hope your pockets are deep and your garage is large!! :D

Hi mate and welcome. Yes a frame is great place to start and perhaps think about finding a donor bike to complete your project at minimum cost. The great thing about rerobike is the stuff that you don't use others definitely can, and so you payout with one hand whilst getting paid in the other. What type of frame do you fancy?

New build

Don't do it- get out while you can!!!!!!!! :shock:
I start by looking in the gallery for some inspiration. There are some fantastic examples in there. The next thing to do is spend hours on here and on ebay looking for bits to finish it!! It's worth it in the end though

got a medium cannondale killer v circa 1997 frame forks and stem you can have [freebie] its just getting in my way [only have small shed]

some great deals out there if ya not chasing obvious OMG bling stuff. :cool: like full bikes.

upto you what takes ya fancy? go from there, summat must've got ya here?

Nobby, if bob doesn't want the killer V I would love to help you out clearing some space ;) Give us a shout if you want shot of it- I am starting to develop a love for Cannondales.

Re: New build

slinky182":2iu4j19w said:
Don't do it- get out while you can!!!!!!!! :shock:
I start by looking in the gallery for some inspiration. There are some fantastic examples in there. The next thing to do is spend hours on here and on ebay looking for bits to finish it!! It's worth it in the end though

Hours, or days and weeks? :LOL:

pick a frame that means something to you. either the bike you had or the bike you most lusted after back in the day is the best way for a first retro imho

Hi

SET YOURSELF A BUDGET OR BE CONSUMED BY A WHOLE PLETHORA OF WONDERFUL AND UNEEDED PARTS!!!!

Seriously though you have joined the best site in the world and with the most friendly and knowledgeable people that are always willing to help you. The frame is the place to start and i would post a request in the wanted section for what you want and for how much. You WILL be overwelmed.........you have been warned!

Good luck with your first build and dont hesitate to ask if you need help!

Adam

Back