Winter wear?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hello,

Need to kit myself out for the winter and the Ale ride (from what I have heard :shock: ) And going to sound like a pikey but going to trawl ebay rather than spend £££s in a shop... So what do you recommend?

Jacket
base layers
leggings

Cheers

A long sleeve base layer, long sleeve retro bike jersey and a soft shell shower proof jacket, and some sort of leg protection.
I wear baggys with lycra leggins under.

Most of the time i don't wear the jacket.

For leggings its better to try on, my Specialized ones are brill, also have endura but they are a definite different cut. Endura more for the errrr slimmer cyclist :roll:

Base layer wise if you can afford it go for merino, absolutely amazing stuff. Keeps you warm and dry and doesn't pong. Would even say it regulates your temperature and can be worn in all but the hottest days. Seems weird spending so much on a base layer but its the bit next to your skin and will have the greatest effect on comfort.

Another winter essential is a good pair of socks, again my favourite are merino's from lewiskit. Add great warmth to your extremities without any extra bulk which will cut off circulation. I use all the lewis kit socks and there fab.

Good gloves like socks are essential too, if you can get 2 pair all the better. One pair windproof and a waterproof pair. The waterproof ones can get a little hot and sweaty.

Get a buff too, very handy bit of kit or a under helmet cap that covers your ears.

ride through the deep streams. I fell off fully into the water - everything soaked

You for real? I will be a dead man.... One of our party isnt even into biking just coming along for a giggle and beers!!

8lezard":3008dn9t said:
I should probably add that he was dressed in a wooly jumper, chinos and a pair of deck shoes... :LOL:

Brilliant :LOL: Also forgot to add, get some winter boots if you can, used to suffer from really cold feet in the depths of winter, a result of summer shoes, and seal skins.
I found the summer shoes letting in to much freezing air.
You even get away with summer socks underneath ;) #

I have also got a skull cap, but find it too hot after a while, so i got this ear muff thingy, basically 2 ear caps linked by a wire sprung band.
Great for when you don't need it, simply folds down nice and small ;)

Another cheap thing to buy would be some silk glove liners, these let you get away with wearing normal long finger gloves.

Back