Bontrager 'Magic Ratio' Doesn't Work

P20

Retrobike Rider
I decided to get rid of the chain tensioner on the Bonty, mainly for the looks, partly because i never liked the damn thing.
So the 'magic ratio' of 34:17 was sourced. King Steel cog, Goldtec 1/8 34t ring, half link chain to allow for fettling.
Set it up with a bit of slack in the chain, the chain could hit the chainstay :roll: So i took one link out, it was so damn tight that after forcing it on it wouldn't run properly :evil:
With the 16t original sprocket back on, its great, smooth and looks fab :cool:
Just hoping my legs can handle the 34:16 ratio :shock:

this guy has them:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-32-HALF-LINK-si ... 286.c0.m14

b881_1.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Weird, always thought the magic ratio was 36~18T but must admit I have never tried it

Don't worry to much about a tight chain, assuming everything is new the chain will stretch enough after a couple of rides

Good to know the "old dear" is still going strong :)

Rememebr the 'magic ratio' is always a 'bodge' (even if a well calculated one ;) ) and will never allow the fine-tuing that makes for a perfect set-up, especially when things start to wear (ie stretch).

It got one of these half link chains on, so it was just half a link i took out.
It was unbelievably tight with the 17t, you couldn't install the wheel with the chain, wrapped around the cog and the chainring :shock:
I resorted to my favourite strengths, brute force and ignorance, chain on the ring, part on the cog and used the wheel to force it on the cog. Its actually taken a shaving off the steel king kog :shock: The cog is still usuable.

Might do some more research into the actual magic ratio, given Gils 36:18

Er, chain tensioner? Magic ratio is a fantasy as chains wear. Eno hubs are nice but require brake resetting as the chain stretches and the hub has to be rotated further. A chain tensioner is no fuss, minimum visual impact and assuming vertical drop-outs the wheel goes back in the same place every time. IMO

I'm wanting away from the chain tensioner. It is mainly an aesthetic thing, but also i've hated the particular one i have from day one, because its shocking build quality/high price :evil:
Looks superb without the chain tensioner too :cool:

Back