What do I do when I've finished polishing?

Dave_H

Senior Retro Guru
So ... I've bought a '94 Cannondale Killer V from Sinnet177.

It's been resprayed orange at some point, so I'm going to strip the paint off and polish the frame up.

What then though? My shed can be a bit damp (but not wet) so is the frame likely to oxidise quickly? How easy is it to lacquer a frame? Where can I get the lacquering professionally done?

I'd use Turtlewax or some such car wax. It'll protect the finish but will need regular re-application.

The problem with lacquer on polished frames is it flakes of. Paint (or lacquer) needs a key to bond to, that's why you sand stuff before you paint it) polished surfaces are about the worst for painting onto.

I use automotive car wax on my 1991 FUNK-then I re-polish it and reapply the wax about 3 times a year. To polish aluminum all you need is medium fine steel wool and soapy water-works like a charm!

I use a product called chemical guys jetseal. Works an absolute treat on all types of surfaces. Look at the cannondale link in my signature and the my karakorum thread in readers kit. Google it too for some online reviews, pricey but worth it.

I used Autoglym Super Resin Polish on my Parkpre - bare alu polished - works a treat and also helps to stop mud sticking to the frame

I used to use Autosol for polishing and Autoglym Super resin for final polish/ protection. Recently discovered Meguiars NXT All Metal Polysh (sic). It is bloody fantastic, just a quick rub and a buff off turns pedal scuffs on crank arms back into a mirror finish. It has anti corrosive properties too so your alloy parts stay looking good for ages. Even smells quite nice. Very highly recommended. Laquer is not a good idea though.

Cheers
Si

REKIBorter":1b8xq740 said:
Dr S":1b8xq740 said:
Laquer is not a good idea though

Agree, it scratches easily and you end up where you started, go nude alu :cool:

definately avoid the temptation to use clear laquer. it not only peels but lifts allowing moisture in and discolouring it. have a look at cars with polished laquered wheels. it makes a right mess

Back