Getting stressed and need help with front mech

Perrin21

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, I'm really wanting to get my bike finished and seem to have hit a problem finding a suitable front mech for my giant MCM2 . I wanted to stick with the XTR 950 theme and rushed to order a front mech that took weeks to arrive from Canada and now doesn't fit. I have the mega 9 chain set fitted so it needs to be capable of running 24,34,46 rings.
Other people seem to have clamp mechs fitted so I'm hoping it's not going to be an issue as my old one was braze on and these seem very elusive.

Here is where I'm up to.

And here are others solutions I've found online

Here is a pic of the removed now unsuitable front mech.

The old one was top swing top pull braze on.

How can I get this up and running? Need some help please.

Re:

Can you fit an E-Typ/bottom bracket mounted front mech, or is the thread on the seat tube buggered?

Mike

Re:

I'd prefer to fit a clamp type. I'm not familiar with bottom bracket fitting mechs. I'm also trying to move away from the braze on unless there is a suitable XTR version.

Re:

An infinity band m900/901 would work. I used the xt732 variation on my kestrel - similar fit problem.

Re:

I think it's a 34.9 as my 31.9 didn't fit. I'm waiting for a proper tool to arrive to measure accurately.

Chances are, it's a braze on mount because the tube is a non-standard size.

What's wrong with a conventional mount XTR version ? FD-M953, keeps the M95x look and gives you a bog standard front mech and Mega9.
Seeing how the braze on mount holes do not seem to protrude, it should clamp ok (no guarantees, have you not got some version to test with?)
I'm guessing, like I said in the other thread, the Top-Swing would not fit.

Not to others,
E-Type cannot really be used as the B/B is a road version.

Re:

Nothing wrong with a 953, what do you consider conventional mount? Clamp? That's what I'm trying to find.

Latest posts

Back