XTR Front mech help

I swear I love the random similar thread below these posts.
He sells one.

If it was me I'd go for 9sp and get a full 95x, so much better then the M900 (I own both) but maybe less pretty.

As many have said, M901 would be the mech for 1996 in normal band style.
If the tube is round and not ovalised in some way, then you can probably fit an M950 Top-Swing mech no problem.
(if you have a modern one you can fit to test) Sometime the bottle boss may be in the way, it shouldn't be though.

If you really want to stay with the traditional style, then go M953. They're decent mechs, will fit in perfectly with M950 cranks and colours of the groupset.
So yes like the picture you posted.

The M900/901 is best left to fit in with the original XTR.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Are you running the cranks in the pic or a different set? I ask only as the m95x range was really designed around a 46 or 48t large chain ring. That said, I've run m953 mechs with 44t rings with no issues and shifting was fine.

Personally I think the m95x, well more m952/3 so much nicer than m900 or m950, so a great choice for your build imho.

I might actually have an m953 top pull 34.9 front mech stashed away, I'll have a look on Monday.

M739 is 97 so if you were going ‘proper’ it would be M737 cranks for 96.

Again , as mentioned if the Seat tube isn’t oval you could run m739 or M950 front mech as M953 is quite hard to get for some reason.

Back