Double build: Zaskar and P7 RS

tIB

Senior Retro Guru
Like waiting for a bus...

Condemned my 94 (iirc) nickel p7 last week, this week saw the arrival of an early 90's zaskar as it's replacement... meanwhile d mid 90s chrome/nickel (not sure on these?) P7 RS turned up reasonably locally. Would be rude not to surely?!

So, I have two builds on the go-ahead bit sure in what order I'm going to build in... need to decide what to do with the finishes first- not sure whether to keep the lived in look or polish the zaskar up. The p7 needs stripping down and some work being done. Of course, I have all the bits to build it up from the dead P7... super!

Oh, and my GT/Hadley front hub came today... need a rear now. Pics to follow...

27230952564_865df9e8f9_k.jpg

27767059531_4844876c52_k.jpg

27230933673_4f1fb1cd70_k.jpg

27741666472_9959f23655_k.jpg

So build wise the P7 will be fitted with an aheadset, RC35 forks, dean stem, original orange handlebars, USE seat post, and a mixture of STX RC (crank, brakes), LX (shifters) and XC (front and rear mech) bits. Not sure on the wheels yet...

Zaskar will be more of an experiment: have some (cheap) gripshift stuff to try out, another set of rc35's which I may swap out for something else - bombers or manitous perhaps- initially I'm going threaded steerer though so not sure on what works with that. Have another set of STX RC v brakes for the front wheel initially, and there is an xt u brake on the back. No levers as yet... will see what I uncover. Be nice to find that Hadley rear wheel/hub eventually though I don't have the cash for it right now. Need some handlebars too- not sure what...

Spent the morning working on the frame with bits and bobs from around the house to varying degrees of success...

The zaskar has cleaned up nicely- doing a dull finish at first which I might mirror up eventually... probably next summer. The p7 is not as good- I've removed the vast majority of rust spots but I couldn't get the lacquer off so it's patchy- will pick up some nitromors at some point and finish it off... possibly this afternoon.

2016-06-25_11-52-52 by sonofprent, on Flickr

2016-06-25_11-53-13 by sonofprent, on Flickr
2016-06-25_11-54-58 by sonofprent, on Flickr

P7 is nickel plated- might keep it bare though will check whether a mate fancies clear coating in the medium term...

Re:

What does the "RS" part mean?
When I first saw the thread title I thought it was "Rear Suspension", now that would be an interesting P7! :LOL:
Or does the "RS" mean Rock Shox ?

Back