After a ceramic rim looses its coating .....

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
does it juts revert to being a normal rim or should it be retired?

If its okay to continue using then theoretically should the rim be as new? My thinking being that the ceramic coating acts like a protective layer and is applied evenly to an even rim surface.

Help!

if you've lost ALL the coating, it'll pretty much be a normal rim.
Only issue is if you've been using ceramic specific pads, or still have bits of ceramic left on the rim.

One will eat the rim, the other will eat the pads..........

Re:

Personally I'd carry on and use it as long as it's worn evenly and not flaked off in chunks.Could be in for some erratic braking if the latter was the case.
I assume you're running ceramic pads?Just change them for standard and away you go (ceramic pads will grind down the bare rim fairly quickly).
Standard pads are a little bit grabby (and wear quickly) on ceramic rims.Just something to be aware of if there's any coating left on the rim.
All said,I'm looking at this from a tight northerners perspective!

Cheers chaps.

For the purposes of this question lefts assume the coating is flaking off and its 70/30 coating an rim.

Should I continue with ceramic pads or revert to normal pads and accept a higher wear rate in the pads but a lower wear rate in the rim.

Or ..... scape off the remaining ceramic ....

Re:

Worth trying to scrape off remaining coating I guess.Bit of a problem if you've got a patchy braking surface though,uneven braking and annoying noise.
Might be a case of suck it and see,depends on how happy you are with the result.
Or the other option of course is do away with the brakes entirely.They'll only slow you down. :facepalm:
Just out of interest,what rims are they?

I'd spend some time and chip off the remaining coating. A small chisel would be ideal. Sharpen a standard screw driver.

Then it's a new non-coated rim!

J

PS- just noticed the above method

Any clues as to how to scrape off the remaining ceramic ? As ive a pair of cr17's in purple but the ceramic is in such bad state that its missing in large sections.
One rim is cracked and the other looks elliptical :LOL: but theyre rare and impossible to replace so im keeping them :oops:

Re:

Never tried myself but if it were me I'd try a scraper that takes one of these type blades or maybe a stanley type one though they're a bit thicker.Nice flat edge,less chance of gouging the rim and thin enough to get under the ceramic.Not expensive,available from hardware stores or some motor factors.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 496
I had this dilemma on my last set of 517 ceramic around 2001. for whatever reason the sidewalls wore out really fast once the ceramic coating had gone & that was on standard pads.. also a standard soaking wet welsh winter...

Latest posts

Back