The legality of making replica team jerseys?

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After digging out my 1994 Dynatech jersey and finding I'm now too tall and too fat to wear it, I got the idea of getting some replica jerseys made up. However, would this get me (or the jersey maker / printer) into hot water with the copyright owner, even though Dynatech ceased to exist more than 20 years ago?

Re:

I am not in the legal profession but I would say yes it would as Dynatech is a registered trade mark of Raleigh which still exists as a company

I sold my Orange Top for the same reasons. Well, one of the reasons you listed. And I've not got any taller...

But I'd have thought it might be other sponsors causing the problems too.

My top had Girvin, Michelin and a few other sponsor names I can't remember on it.

I would think you don't have a problem as long as you are not selling products that are copy's of the original product.
For exampla Dynatech's core bussiness isn't making jersey's, they just made them as a marketing item.
If you are going to sell some no name bikes with Dynatech logo's, then you have a problem.
The same goes for any other brand on your jersey.
It might be a problem when the jersey's brand is for example Nike and you print that logo to....

Re:

If someone from Raleigh who was involved with trademarks, and was having a bad day, happened to find out about it, and was interested enough to find out who you were, and thought you were trying to make commercial advantage out of it, and was willing to incur the cost of getting you to stop doing it, and didn't care about looking like a tit in the newspapers, and could get a judge who wouldn't laugh the case out of court, then you might be in trouble.

Or you could just do it!

Back