British team at 1989 Mountain Bike World Championships

jazzibizznizz

Retro Guru
I was very kindly sent this picture by Retrobiker doctorstewie. It's from issue 3 of MBUK, and shows the British team at the first ever world championships in Crans-Montana, Switzerland.

So, who can identify the riders?
And who can identify what they were riding?

Attachments

• MBUK Pic.jpg
    MBUK Pic.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 1,028
sadly I have no clue, but I do love the outfits. You get the feeling that's the gear they were all riding in. :) ( the lack of Helmets, for example in a lot of the early issues is notable, as is the preponderance of denim over Lycra )

I think I might be seeing Simon Burney, Andy Pegg, Rory Hitchens and Paul Hinton? Maybe some other names will come back to me. Awesome photo though!

Edit - it'd be 1988 though wouldn't it? That's probably when MBUK came out and there's no 1989 bikes in shot.

Re:

Guessing - bottom row in the middle, will that be John Stephenson? Two to the left will that be Jamie Carr, and next to him what did Deb Murrell look like? my thinking being I think these all had connections to two wheels good Leeds.

ah someone beat me too it whilst I typed. Jamie Carr had a red Dave Yates so guessing middle bike will be his.

As for the bikes, the purple and yellow stripey one on the left looks like an Overburys, the two lying below it are a similar design, but couldn't be sure, and there's a red Dave Yates in the centre.

Back