Rust proofing steel frames

sickpup

Old School Hero
I work on a lot of things and at the moment I'm restoring a Lightweight Landrover. These have a part called the vent panel that is just below the screen that corrodes VERY badly and is becoming rather expensive to replace.
With this in mind I have filled it up with a product called Dinitrol ML3125 which is a rust converting and preventing waxy fluid. I'm also considering using it on my one steel frame that is now 26 years old or so to preserve it as I've noticed a few threads that mention internal corrosion and pin holes.

So does anyone else use anything to protect the frame internals and if so what?

Difference between a Landy (even a lightweight) and a bike frame is a Landy won't notice a few extra pounds of rust proofing, but a bike frame will. So the wax based rust treatments used on cars chassis are not ideal.

The main option is JP Weigle Framesaver but it is quite pricey. You can also use boiled linseed oil. I have used a product called Supertrol which seems to work or another option is something that the septics rave about called Gibbs Brand, though that is quite pricey too. I guess you pays yer money..........

You can get a few frames out of a can of framesaver . Personally, the £10 pays for the peace of mind that my frames are well protected throughout and internal rust shouldn't be an issue.

Ollie":3keve25h said:
You can get a few frames out of a can of framesaver . Personally, the £10 pays for the peace of mind that my frames are well protected throughout and internal rust shouldn't be an issue.

Nice if you can find it for a tenner delivered! I can't.

Re:

Supertrol. Marvelous stuff, that.

(Do it on a nice hot day, roll it all round the tubes and let the excess drain out. Preferably not all over your pale fawn carpet.)

Ollie":sun6ackb said:
Sorry to go off topic... But can't you get galvanised vent panels :? ?

No you can't yet. The only ones left are the S2 ones although a couple of companies are trying to remanufacture S3 ones. Gavanising them is problematic as they are thin metal and tend to warp with the heat.Remember, this is a vehicle they stopped making 30 years ago and never had civilian primary use or the parts back up.

Dinitrol has high viscosity and can be used in layers as thin as 30 microns so wouldn't add much weight at all. Reading through various reviews of Frame Saver it would appear it and Dinitrol may be pretty much the same stuff.

Not trying to push Dinitrol over Frame Saver if it seems that way, had never even heard of Frame Saver. Just wanted peoples views.

Back