RS Mag 21 Restoration - One Fork Done :)

wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A fellow member from Germany sent me a couple of sets of Mag 21 SL Ti forks for me to restore for him (he also sent a limited edition SID Athena fork to sort out).

One fork was 'nos' but badly tarnished after storage and the othet set had been used.

Both forks were stripped down using an original Rockshox toolset I was lucky enough to track down some time ago :cool:

The 'nos' lower legs...

Corrosion inside the other lower legs...

You can see the difference in shade to the lower legs of the 'nos' fork (darker) to the used fork (lighter)...

The components of both forks...

Both sets of lower legs were vapour blasted, chemically treated (as you must do before painting magnesium) then wet-painted with a best match colour for the SL Ti ...

The forks just need re-assembly etc and set-up now :)

Cheers

ps. if you like yours doing, drop me a pm :)

Re: RS Mag 21 Restoration

I find a high polish and thin coat of Bronze or bronzeish paint works well and you get teh really shiney reflection through. But getting the surface excellent is a bugger as I have no polishing wheel and as soon as it's not poilshed it just doesn't work. 92 mag are an easier colour as are the 93/94 could not looked for the nickelite 96/7 colour.

Now if only I had written down the colour I used. I have loads of spares, but I don't respray when I do the refurbishing. Get plenty of cracked legs to pratice spraying on though, lol. Might try some more next year.

Re: RS Mag 21 Restoration

My_Teenage_Self":2iei4pxy said:
No polishing wheel used here;

My wrists gave in after doing one side. I actually left different part at a different polish to see the difference.

Re:

One fork now pretty much done...

Cheers :)

Re:

Look good as new! :shock:

Did you renew any of the internals? Seals, wipers etc? If so, where did you get them from?

Re: Re:

jimo746":30gzh5vj said:
Look good as new! :shock:

Did you renew any of the internals? Seals, wipers etc? If so, where did you get them from?

The internal seals were ok as were the bushes, springs and cir-clips. It's got new wiper seals though and new o-rings which were from a kit I bought a while back.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back