9 speed shifter compatability

bulliporker

Retro Guru
i have just bought a orange mountain bike and the 3 and 8 speed shifters are goosed, can i fit a 3 and 9 speed shifter with my 8 speed cassette till i upgrade to 9 speed or will it not work correctly

9 speed will not work well on anything pre 1998 ;) for some reason it just stops working

(the answer is not the 9 will not work much with the 8 speed.)

Just blast some WD40 and GT85 type stuff in there and clean the shifter up.

FluffyChicken":2jc9p6u2 said:
9 speed will not work well on anything pre 1998 ;) for some reason it just stops working

Might work but prolly wont, need to open them up and gett to the sear/pawl type bit its those that areusually gummed up up. Then you can really give them the good news with gt85.

poweredbypies":37l4k2ez said:
FluffyChicken":37l4k2ez said:

Might work but prolly wont, need to open them up and gett to the sear/pawl type bit its those that areusually gummed up up. Then you can really give them the good news with gt85.

I know, but I'm giving the absolute basics not knowing which shifter it is and it wasn't asked. a search will bring the OP various how to's

the bike is a 1999 orange gringo in yellow i have just picked up cheaply of ebay the front shifter is a shimano but its not marked which model i have, it does have indicators showing which gear you are in , i have also looked on ebay and cant see anything identical , the front and rear derailiers are shimano deore also the brake levers and brakes are also not marked , the problem i have is the front shifter has the bottom cover missing and seems to be jammed so i thought it would be easier to replace than repair so if anyone has a 1999 shimano maybe deore 3 speed shifter i would be intrested

Back