My Orange Aluminium O - the inch and a quarter dilemma.

JediPaddler

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Decided to tackle my first proper retro build. I have just purchased a tidy Orange Aluminium O off Ebay. The first problem I have is it came with no forks but did come with its original 1 1/4" headset minus the crown race.

So ideally I'm after some original or suitable alternative forks, preferably rigid. Failing that I may remove the headset and fit a reducer and go for a 1 1/8" headset to open my options. I'm thinking if I do source 1 1/4" headset and forks I'll then struggle to source a stem.

Any thoughts or sources for forks, headsets or reducers?

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

stems aren't usually a problem, it's the forks! i do have the correct pair but i will be selling them with the frame and ebay next week.

the 1 1/8 conversion is the easiest way to go but not always the nicest

:)

Try ebay they're not that uncommon, and also try a wanted ad on here, should find a few people able to help with forks, stem and headset.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Jonnyboy666, wouldn't mind a heads-up on the Ebay sale, may consider it and sell on the left over bits if its within my budget etc.

I notice from the magazine review of the Ali O that Rock Shox were an option. Any one know what model they would have been?

Thanks.

If I went the Rock Shox route what would the correct period fork be for a 92 (?) Ali O?

I'm gussing Mag 21? In which case I'd have to go the 1 1/8 convertor route. Any idea for a cheap source of convertor cups?

JediPaddler":3csyltr1 said:
I'm gussing Mag 21? In which case I'd have to go the 1 1/8 convertor route. Any idea for a cheap source of convertor cups?

Mag 21s came in 1", 1 1/8", and 1 1/4". I saw a 1 1/4" threaded one on (US) fleabay last night.

I picked up a NOS 1&1/4 stem on fleabay recently pretty cheaply. They are out there.
In fact - there's a purple ATAC 1&1/4 stem on here for sale somewhere.

Forks-wise - I'd look at Pace RC-35.
That's what I have on my AluO and aren't the steerer tubes interchangeable and still available from Pace?

RC35's are good option if you want suspension. They do show up now and again.

I've got a pair of steel threaded forks that are 1 1/4 if you want. They need a strip and paint but are solid. £20?

DSC_3034.jpg

DSC_3033.jpg

Back