Help: "Kona Mountain Shock AA", seatpost size

lfynbo

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I am new to the forum, so I hope I am putting this question on it's right place.

I have purchased a Kona Mountain Shock AA frame, which I am building up for xc-racing. I guess, it is from around 95-97.

I have problems identifying the seatpost's size. I measure it to 27mm, and surely my 27.2mm seatpost appears to be too wide.

Does anybody know the correct seatpost size for this frame?

Regards,
Lars

Hi and welcome to the forum. my frame took a 27.2mm post.

is it possible the seat clamp has been overtightened at some point?

lewis1641":28p8zg9g said:
Hi and welcome to the forum. my frame took a 27.2mm post.

is it possible the seat clamp has been overtightened at some point?
Hi,
Thanks!
No, the clamp has not been overtightened. The first 4-5 cm is no problem. It is only when the post gets beneath the "cut" in the frame that it gets stuck.
On the other hand, if you use a 27.2 mm post on a similar frame, it may be that the post I am using is too wide (for a 27.2 mm post).

Kona quoted 27.0 and all Kona posts around that time were 27.0. They didn't start making 27.2s until much later.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike
Although Dave's frame took a 27.2, it's always possible that an individual frame requires extra reaming and may take a 27.2, in which case that is what to use, but it will be the exception rather than the rule.

The other point about the Kona AA is that you should say it Ah Ah. I believe it's what you would say if you stepped on hot lava rock barefoot.

Anthony":1evmtvo2 said:
Although Dave's frame took a 27.2, it's always possible that an individual frame requires extra reaming

or that dave is a numpty and made it fit :oops: :oops:

apologies to the o.p. for mis advice

as long as it fits ...
I was lucky to find an old 27.0 post at my local bikeshop, and I even think that it's from a kona. and it fits!

thanks for the help

Back