SPINERGY REV X FREEHUB REPLACEMENT (m750 shimano)

marin man

Old School Grand Master
I am posting this up incase anyone has any problems with replacing their freehub on a rev x and not to have some on here sabotaging my thread,
These wheels are retro no matter what is said by some people and as such some advice may be of help.

My freehub was getting a bit worn and after a couple of days research on the internet I found out that an ultegra 6402 freehub is compatible as spinergy have discontinued the freehub that they originally fitted.Unfortunately the ultegra one was also discontinued.....So back to the drawing board.
I asked around for a few days and found out that a 105 9 speed will fit or possibly a shimano xt m750 nine speed(thanks one eyed jim).

I managed to buy one from someone on this forum and it arrived very quickly (thanks),After cnabalising the xt hub to remove the freehub which was a bit difficult as the hub was a bit difficult to grip,I removed the cassette from my spinergy and then removed the axle explanation below;
1,Undo the cone lock nut from the drive side with two cone spanners and remove both nut and cone.
2,tap the drive side end with a rubber mallet to remove the axle.
3,Remove the ball bearings and discard if damaged.
4,place a ten mm allen key in the open end of the freehub and undo the freehub counter clockwise.
5,the freehub can now be removed as one piece.
6,remove the spacer from the donor hub which is behind the freehub that you have removed.
7,Place the spacer from the donor hub behind the freehub and thread the freehub onto the spinergy with the ten mm allen key.
8,Do up very tightly but by hand only.
9,Check that it is rotating freely.
STAGE 2
1,replace the ball bearings that you removed or source some new ones (The shimano ones from your donor hub should be fine)
2,fill the race with grease and put the bearings in.
3,push the spinergy axle back in from the sealed bearing side.
4,Use the cone and seal from the donor hub as these will fit the spinergy axle and will seal the freehub better than the old ones.
5,Be sure to put the spacers between the cone and the lock nut.
6,adjust the bearings to run freely and smoothly.
7,You may have to play about with the axle spacing slightly to get the wheel central.
8,refit the cassette and any spacers that you used before and readjust your gears when the wheel is fitted.
9,Go for a ride and then recheck the bearing adjustment.
FINISHED
A couple of pics below.

Attachments

• P1010207.JPG
    P1010207.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 9,256
  • P1010205.JPG
    P1010205.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 9,256
  • P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 9,256
  • P1010203.JPG
    P1010203.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 9,260
Cheers mike,Just thought that when someone types in spinergy and freehub to a search engine like I did (and found nothing) They will find something useful and also a new website,hence new blood for the site and help for them.

Witout wanting to sabotage the thread and in the interest of honest debate - I'm not sure how wise it is to extend the service life of a wheel system that has a serious safety issue. In the worst case your replacement freehub tip could seriously injure someone by letting them continue to ride a wheel that belongs in a landfill.

If it's worn enough that it needs a new freehub, what state is the spoke and rim interface in?

There's another thread for the Spinergy-bashing, I think it'd be best to keep it to one :)

For your information;
the freehub was getting noisy as I rode through a deep ditch and washed some grease out.The rim is o.k and the wheel is fine,I suppose that you would throw your wheels in the bin because of a noisy freehub :evil:
I try to post something up to help people out and you add your two peneth worth again,to be honest I am getting sick of it :evil:
If you have nothing to add that is in anyway constructive and you do not have any of these yourselves then how about leaving it out :?:
This has been discussed at length on this forum before so go there and have your two peneth worth based on highly spurious internet images.....Thankyou and good night.

Just an update for anyone interested;
I have just done about ten miles on them and the freehub is actually better that the original and is a silent one as well :D xt m750 is the way to go :cool: The bearings did not come loose and all is well :D
(and guess what.............my "death trap" wheels have not exploded and maimed me either :shock: :LOL: )

marin man":hdk037wx said:
I try to post something up to help people out and you add your two peneth worth again,to be honest I am getting sick of it :evil:
If you have nothing to add that is in anyway constructive and you do not have any of these yourselves then how about leaving it out :?: .....Thankyou and good night.

sounds like what some people say on here about some of your posts :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There is humour,good natured or otherwise ;) and then there is ignorance :evil:
I will only reply to the peoples threads that I know and no others from now on as some people are very clicky.When you are trying to help someone by uploading some good info and ignorant types just post up to annoy you it is not nice is it :?: .I remember a while ago when talking about a new frame a mate of yours was getting on your nerves to dan ;)

I am being constructive - by trying to stop people being seriously injured.

A freehub takes a long, long time to wear out - long enough that the wheel will have been through a lot of stress. I say again - if the wheel's old enough that it needs a new freehub, it's a potential hazard.

Extending the life of a dangerous component does no-one any favours. Some retro things you ride - and some you just look at...

Back