Help! Rounded off Allen bolt stuck!

Re: Re:

Neil":1o89v9d3 said:
I could get a blade in the gap as its the bolt nearest the frame too. I'm guessing you too have had failures with the extractor method?
[/quote]
I see! Hmmm got the tools to do it...have I got the balls!

Re: Re:

wookiee":2pp95nfo said:
greencat":2pp95nfo said:
I had the very same problem yesterday while trying to get some rotors off some new secondhand wheels. Both rotors had one stuck bolt that the previous owner had kindly rounded.

Can you cut a slot for a screwdriver - and perhaps tap it round? Or use pliers on it (probably not from the sounds of it)? Weld or epoxy an allen key to it?

In the end I managed to bend and rotate the both rotors a little which loosened the bolts enough that I could get the pliers on them.

Hmm no the bolt is sunken flush with the arm so cant cut a slot and pliers no chance...looking at how mangled the head is I doubt epoxy would help either! See pic

look at the bolt you see the on the left around the 7/ 8 oclock postion atlot of the head is exposed use a very small chisel to make a indent / groove in the edge of the bolt a 6mm wood chisel would be ideal
then use a center punch to punch the indent anticlock wise an keep sharping the punch with a grinder when the point goes dull
very important use a very small hammer an take your time
this will work but it takes time

Re:

Looking at the pictures you have posted I'd take this to a competent engineering shop if you seriously harbour any hope of salvaging the crankarm.
I would speculate that the thread is damaged anyway such is the state of the Allen bolt fitting.

Re:

Just to confuse you further, a method that I've had a lot of success with, both at work and home is using a left handed or reverse drill bit. It basically works like a normal drill but in reverse so that when it bites it will undo the broken/rounded bolt. Best case scenario ; it screws the bolt out, worst case scenario ; you drill a hole and move onto the the stud extractor.

This video explains it best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYvaPbX1sT4

The good news is that you don't actually need a left handed drill bit, I've never owned one either. Just grind the clearance on a standard drill backwards so that it now cuts on the opposite faces ie. the angle "B" has to slope in the opposite direction. As with the left handed drill bit, the modded drill bit must also be run anticlockwise in the drill.

Attachments

• 6-11.jpg
    6-11.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 388
If you plan to do this yourself then do up the other bolt before drilling it - that releases some of the yension on the one you want out,
What is the bolt made of? Looks like stainless steel which will make it harder.

Is the gap wide enough for a junior hacksaw blade? If yes, then try to saw the bolt ( obviously without the other one fitted). There may be a bkt of plastic in the gap, this has a pin to prevent the arm from dropping off, sacrifice thay if nevrssary, it is not needed.

If you can get the crank arm off, this will increase massively your chances of removing it as you can clamp the arm down and use a drill press. A pilot hole of 2 mm icreased to 4.0 mm or whatever is the tapping drill size for m5. Dont usr 5 mm as that will drill into the crank threads!! This will leave the bolt threads that can be picked out either by hand or using a m5 tap.

If you were planning to use a hand held drill, the chances are you will snap the drill in the bolt making it even harder so dont.
Forget screw extractors too.

You could try using a dremel with small diamond tips to make a slot in the head, itll take time but try that before drilling.

Re diamond dremel bits, see 271607090538 on ebay.

And if you do manage to get a slot, support the underside and use an impact screw driver to undo. That is less likely to slip.

If you were heading my way or were able to get the crank arm off to post to me, id have a go as i got a drill press. Not saying id succeed but more likely than someone without a drill press.

Ps take your time over this as it is easy to make the matter worse. :facepalm:

And you can buy replacement crank arms..

Onr more thing, the plastic preload adjuster is expendable but if you do cut into that, it should still be usable,

Back