Yo Eddy weights

Yetichaser

Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I’m building up a Yo Eddy for myself with period appropriate parts for myself and also an xs Buckshaver for my son. Just wondering what the lightest you can build up a Yo Eddy to.
Wondering if sub 20lb is possible. Using the Yo Eddy forks rather than suspension and usual suspects re XTR m900, Ringle, Bullseye etc

Re:

what does the frame weighm

modern stuff makes the bikes lighter. old stuff a lot heavier.

but I'd aim for 23lb fully specified front sus bike using early 90s parts.
that's for a large steel frame in the region of 4.5lb

Get lighter using modern tyres, inner tubes that pop at the sight of a blunt object, ti bottom bracket axles and lightweight pedals.

Re:

Frame weighs around 4.5lbs.
Will keep the build retro. Maybe will start a thread on it. My sons Buckshaver may well come in under 20lbs as it is using some modern parts in carbon as well as bits of XTR M950 although will be running 1x8 most likely albeit with a suspension fork

A 1x crankset w/ external BB is lighter by almost a full lb compared to a 3x w/square taper. Is it weight your only aim? Then forget titanium, octalinks and go w/ what´s going on now. Vbrake avid levers are as light as the ultra expensive canti brake levers. Thomson posts are light. Some new saddles are in the 180grs ball park. if you go singlespeed and rigid you can have a 17- 18lb bike.

Re:

I have an ML Yo.. syncros Ti bars and s/post, King hubs, cooks, m900 etc - and the BOI fork. She’s under 23lbs.

Shaving another 3lbs off with retro parts would be tough - even with 1.5 inch tyres, Air Bs, ti spokes, flite evo and all that kind of stuff.

As for the practical rideability, not to say durability, of that kind of highly focused spec.. well.. Let’s just say, if I wanted a sub-20lb Yo, and actually wanted to ride it in anger, I would definitely give thought to modern parts. Maybe just keep a turquoise CK, a Ringle QR and a Flite for nostalgia!

Could always purchase one of Chance’s new Yos, run 27.5 inch wheels and have it painted to match your original Yo - but with contemporary state of the art parts!

Re:

Well, it look like my sons Buckshaver is at around 16.6lbs excluding cassette, BB, chainset/pedals and chain and rear mech so will be interesting to see how that pans out. He is only 8 and lobes carbon so I got him some carbon bars and seatpost, Carbon Ti QRs, Pace RC39 forks and just had some Xt/XTR huns built onto Campag rims.

On my Yo Eddy i’ll continue the build with retro parts but just interested to see how light this will be. I wanted my Yeti to be light when I built that almost 30 years ago but that has one very heavy frame and forks on it

Re: Re:

Yetichaser":5hfn1vm3 said:
Well, it look like my sons Buckshaver is at around 16.6lbs excluding cassette, BB, chainset/pedals and chain and rear mech so will be interesting to see how that pans out. He is only 8 and lobes carbon so I got him some carbon bars and seatpost, Carbon Ti QRs, Pace RC39 forks and just had some Xt/XTR huns built onto Campag rims.

On my Yo Eddy i’ll continue the build with retro parts but just interested to see how light this will be. I wanted my Yeti to be light when I built that almost 30 years ago but that has one very heavy frame and forks on it

Make his a singlespeed!

Re:

Just out of interest, how tall would you need to be to ride an XS Buck? I had figured my little one would need to be 10 or 11 before I could find a retro ride for her. Are you running 165mm cranks?

Prodigal Son":441lxuvx said:
Yetichaser":441lxuvx said:

Make his a singlespeed!

I would have put a triple chainset on but, given that he races in the Go Ride Race League, he would fall foul of the 5.1m gearing rules

BlackCat":3vp4cp2x said:
Just out of interest, how tall would you need to be to ride an XS Buck? I had figured my little one would need to be 10 or 11 before I could find a retro ride for her. Are you running 165mm cranks?

My son will be 9 in January, not measured him but he is quite tall for his age and it does seem a bit of a stretch for him. So I think 10-11 would be better for most kids.

For the cranks, given that i’m limited to single chainrings i’m tempted by 155mm kids crankset. Alternative would be to try and track down a 165mm Middleburn

Back