Yet another Roberts D.O.G.S... of a rebuild

nevadasmith":35go8fyc said:
daj":35go8fyc said:
You have got a lot to answer for young man!! because of this my old Dog is now being fitted with V brakes :twisted: :twisted:

The new owner probably rides it faster than you did Dave :LOL: .... even with those 'handling' issues :roll:

ha,ha :LOL:

daj":2v147dg8 said:
You have got a lot to answer for young man!! because of this my old Dog is now being fitted with V brakes :twisted: :twisted:

BWAHAHAHAHA :twisted:

i really like the overall look of this bike, the orange is really cool, as much as i like the black and white version being the 'classic' dogs paint this is a very good look.

my only thing is the canti hanger, i understand your reasons for keeping it and i agree with them, that said for me i would have chosen canti brakes because of keeping the hanger, but bearing in mind you (obviously) want the power of v's i would have gone v upfront and canti on the back by using . . . is it Pauls that have a matching canti/v brake design?

overall really like it and i think you've done a great job with mixing modern and retro.

:)

If you'd bought this in 1992 you'd have put V brakes on it in 1996 without a second thought ;)

MikeD":2xuwe9kz said:
If you'd bought this in 1992 you'd have put V brakes on it in 1996 without a second thought ;)

you are right, but i never did, i hate the unused frame part thing, but that's just me. i know it's silly but it would bother me :oops:

This forum is a very broad church, with a multitude of different tastes. I like to modernise my bikes and build them to my tastes, which is why in 1996 I fitted XT V brakes to my 94 Zaskar LE. But there are those who would already be screaming sacrilege at me for what I have done to the DB, as I have already made alterations to the frame, "it's only original once" seems to be their battle cry. I respect that view, but it ain't mine.

I suppose I could have taken the attitude that as I was having a new top tube put in, I could also make a few other alterations along the way, the previous owner of my White Spider did just that when he had the frame resprayed, but my preference is to leave things alone as much as possible, so that I do not damage the future potential possibilities for the frame.

As I said, this came from my custom motorbike days, when I saw other builders hacking up and hardtailing really fine, sometimes almost irreplaceable frames, rather than just taking the slightly longer route of replicating the geometry they wanted, and then letting a enthusiast / restorer buy the frame and turn it back into something less radical.

I am fascinated by the sometimes tiny things that people pick up on. I like it, it shows an attention to detail that is necessary to turn out really fine machines, in our case mountain bikes, and if Jonnyboy666 and others do not like the fact that I have a superfluous bracket on my bike, I apologise, but to my mind it is better to leave it there, unused, than to give a builder like Carl or Adrian, (or all the others who produce the most perfect rebuilds of historically significant bikes) the nightmare of trying to replicate that little post exactly, from photos and scans in 20 years time.

Vive la difference!

Back