Yet another ID the bike game....well.... wow!!!

Re: Yet another ID the bike game....

The same down to the rear seat stay pump peg

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/verkauf ... ud.854837/

img_6605-jpg.637655

IMG_20180903_185212.jpg

Re:

Just have to secure a deal on it and it'll be be in my collection.....

It's amazing what people take to the tip eh !!!!!

legrandefromage":by1csoyj said:
Just looks like an old bike with flat tyres unfortunately.

We know different

luckily

well some of the more educated folk perhaps :oops:

Retro Spud":by1csoyj said:
Liking Those brakes , headset and Gripshift everything else I’d pass on

Re:

Yeah. Not much chance of seeing a BSO with a Mavic HS. Just that alone screams quality and warrants to dig deeper.

The BB may need special attention, small chance it could be French thread. I reckon the Vitus tubing decals are correct - worth asking in the road section to see what they were producing.

There's definitely some period road / track bike fashion going on putting filler around the headtube joins (if it was AL it would be Cannondale ;-) ) Wrap over stays too screams quality.

Top find, and top ID by LGF!

Hi, It's been a while since the last post but I wanted to get some more information from you.

Recently, I managed to buy a rather unique bike in very good condition and in the original specification. The whole thing is on the Deore II MT-62 group and on a frame similar to the one in the subject.

Looks like a Gilles Berthoud frame to me. From what I've found, it's a hand-made frame. There is no serial number on it, so it's hard to say what year it was made.

Equipment full group from 1989 so I think that was also the year of production.

Do you know anything about Gilles Berthoud producing frames for other companies ? The bike I bought is in perfect condition. The rims are like new.

I'm just wondering if it really could be Gilles Berthoud and is it known if a lot of such bikes were made (unfortunately there is no serial number of the frame here)?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    794.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 59
Hi, It's been a while since the last post but I wanted to get some more information from you.

Recently, I managed to buy a rather unique bike in very good condition and in the original specification. The whole thing is on the Deore II MT-62 group and on a frame similar to the one in the subject.

Looks like a Gilles Berthoud frame to me. From what I've found, it's a hand-made frame. There is no serial number on it, so it's hard to say what year it was made.

Equipment full group from 1989 so I think that was also the year of production.

Do you know anything about Gilles Berthoud producing frames for other companies ? The bike I bought is in perfect condition. The rims are like new.

I'm just wondering if it really could be Gilles Berthoud and is it known if a lot of such bikes were made (unfortunately there is no serial number of the frame here)?
This looks also to me like a Gilles Berthoud.
I had one too, pretty similar to yours, just the color combination of yours looks a bit more fresh.
Mine had BTW same stem earlier and als the nice Guidons Philippe bar.

Hey, but it's also very likely that the K2 decals are original.
We have in the German Classic Bike forum a good Thread about the history of K2 Bikes. You may use Google to translate if needed.
Before the had own models, it looks like K2 started End of the 80ties to re-sell Bikes from other manufacurers, just with some own coloring and decals.
There had been a few Kona Bikes with K2 labels, but also we have seen some Bikes with Vitus tubing and obviously close if not identical to Gilles Berthoud (but a different model as yours).
The bike at the second pic in this thread has also K2 logos. Unlike to the scott sticker, those seem to be original.

And last but not least, I'm not even sure if Gilles Berthoud Bikes has produced the MTBs on his own.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the set of information. Indeed, the frame is identical to your Gilles Berthould. The difference is the painting and the Deore II mt62 group, not Deore XT. There don't seem to be many of these bikes. It's hard to get any information about them.

Back