Yes, another Overbury's at THM Towers. Hardtail or rigid?

Very tidy and smart solution to that short Unicrown fork...... PM to Danson67 on it's way... my Lotuses need your help!!!!!

Re:

Thanks,it's a version of the way that Rody at Groovy does it, thought he's welding not brazing.

It's easier to do the ahead ones, as there's no stem quill to worry about. Just the need to avoid high stress areas around the headset and stem.

In theory it would be possible to pull the whole steerer out of the fork crown and for a new one. However, with this style of fork crown, with the unicrown legs, it's hard to heat the steerer joint enough without undoing the fork legs too.
With a normal wide crown, like road stuff, just the middle of the crown can be heated up enough. Even then, cleaning out the old brass left behind in the socket is a PITA.

All the best,

Re:

@danson67 you definitely make it sound easy.

I’ve had a couple of those old lugged forks with the Unicrown shape that I’ve had new steerers put on, one even had rollercam studs - so extra braze ons to worry about near the point where heat was applied. The guy who did it never told me how tricky it must have been. Interestingly both times he refused to cut and lengthen steerer as you’ve done, probably simply didn’t know your method. Rambling over :)

So. I have accumulated a lot of 739 somehow. Would it be wrong to?

Speak now.

With the Pace I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

The History Man":2k1hrp7v said:
So. I have accumulated a lot of 739 somehow. Would it be wrong to?

Speak now.

With the Pace I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

I assume you mean you’ve got a near XT M739 group set?
Why would that offend?

The History Man":3kjileox said:
A bit late. And I’m going to have to put xt v on front.

Didn’t have you down as being overly concerned about others negative opinions, obviously one doesn’t want to be rude..... but.... ;)

Not started yet. Been busy/distracted gathering options for the three graces.

Attachments

• 764ADA13-A4EA-4838-B982-F94CDC19A13F.jpeg
    764ADA13-A4EA-4838-B982-F94CDC19A13F.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 244
Back