Y.O.M for P. Barnard & Son?

vociferous

Dirt Disciple
I was lucky enough to purchase a frame built by Percy Barnard, Brixton.
the number is 075, and am wondering if anyone could supply me with a year-of-manufacture. I have some photos after re-spray, here. Thank you.

Re:

Hi,
I have a Percy Barnard and my serial number is 2016 and I believe it to be 1948 ish, are you missing the first digit, where about is it, mine is on the BB underside on the chain stay bit.

Terry

Hello Terry,

Thanks for replying. I am enclosing a photo of the under-side of the b.b. it looks to me like an 83 in larger font and then 075 in smaller. On the fork steerer tube was another number entirely, along with 075. I can get you that number if you want. Let me know if this link doen't open. I am not sure I have sent a URL in Flickr before.

p.s: this Barnard I got at Hilary Stone
and was a robin's egg blue.

Paul

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150773913 ... ed-public/

Re:

Hi,
at a guess I would say yours is later than mine, there is an auction reference about a 1935 PB having a serial number of 249 in 2012, so mine ( link below for a couple of pictures) looks like just post war at a guess, your BB appears to be later as well, it also has a derailleur braze on, so at a guess 1950 ish, but that doesn't explain the serial number, it is always difficult to guess what is what with such a small pool of examples, but you can only take these things so far, enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tk_photos ... 8668448620

Terry

Terry, I think I found the four-digit number that you cited. In these two pics, you will see that, along with the smaller-font 075 (which cor-responds to the bottom bracket number, there is a larger-font 1816.

Is there a way for me to look at pics of the 1935 model you mentioned?
At the risk of bending your ear, I also want to ask you about the graphics on your frame. I see that they are in Old English Engravers font. Are they the original decals? The reason I ask is because, as you probably noticed, the decals that were on the frame when I bought it were curiously spartan, especially the somewhat timid-looking B on the headtube.
I modeled my frame off of that template when I had it re-sprayed, and I think I may have been in error. I would be determined to change it about if i knew better. As you probably know, Percy Barnard was an engraver before he began building frames. Thank you for your help.
Paul

Re:

Hi,
the snippet I have is below, there were no decals the previous owner just had them done I believe, he may of seen them on another Barnard, as the head badge is an painted attempt at the decal, which isn't perfect but it adds a certain charm. I will add a photo of it to my Flickr group. Terry

Sunday, 20 May, 2012

Cycling & Cycling Memorabilia

Sale Catalogue

Lot 332 Description

A circa 1935 Percy Barnard & Son of Brixton, London, gentleman's lightweight bicycle. With a 23-inch frame numbered 249, this interesting machine was renovated in blue with period transfers a little while ago and now possesses the patina that is a delight to the club man. It comes with a Williams chain set, single fixed gearing, 26-inch Endrick rims in excellent order, period Super Cam Monitor brake system to the front wheel, Bluemels aluminium mudguards, Brooks B17 saddle and dropped handlebars on a forward extension.

Re:

Thanks for that, Terry. So it seems that Hilary was correct in citing my frameset at late 1940's. The placement of the mudguard eyes would go along with this.
Their shop was not closed down nor converted to military supply manufacture during the war, because it was too small, so perhaps Percy was building frames through this period.
Their rear wall was blown out by a German bomb, though.
I talked with Alan Barnard at one point and he said something like "I have not seen a definitive Barnard downtube transfer.", so even he doesn't know, and he is Percy's grandson. Engravers font would be an excellent guess, or, like you said, the idea could have come from direct observation of another Barnard bicycle.
It's good to know that other examples of P. Barnard & Son cycles are out there. I'll be building this with a Villiers single-speed freewheel and Middleton bars.

Paul

Re:

Hi Paul,
put up a photo when it is done, that head badge photo is within the album now, it wasn't previously.

Thanks

Terry

Here are some photos of the Barnard as a complete bike. It rides great.
It'll be at Eroica Britannia this year if the virus lets us alone.

Attachments

• P6060002.JPG
    P6060002.JPG
    934.9 KB · Views: 39
  • P6060003.JPG
    P6060003.JPG
    926 KB · Views: 35
  • P6060006.JPG
    P6060006.JPG
    634.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P6060009.JPG
    P6060009.JPG