Xtr crank resto - how bad can it be!

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Having spent a large chunk of my career restoring and building automotive things, i thought i might see just how bad things can be and still get them back round to a usable state.

So when a really nasty xtr m900 crank came up and after a brief negotiation with the owner, i took the plunge.

Warning now to all those with a sensitive nature.....this post contains images some my find shocking.

So here it is.

Attachments

• 20210515_093436.jpg
    20210515_093436.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210515_093459.jpg
    20210515_093459.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 120
When i opened the box even i gulped a bit. 1mm or so of flaking alloy and pretty nasty. But hey! We all li,e a challenge.

First i had to deal with the major corrosion and de scale it.....without loosing the shape....

Fitst course was a round with a 120 grit flap disc (it just laughed at the 80 grit wet and dry when i showed it to it), followed by 2 rounds with medium and fine " dronco" pads ( scotchbrite grinder discs).

I had to do a fair bit of resurfacing to keep it all flat and level and as with all restoration work often knowing when to stop is key.

After that it was really just the standard 240, 400, 600, 1200 wet and dry, same as one of the guys put in the restoration links.

Only difference was that i went to 2000 grit and then metal polished it with a rag. The reason being, unlike many projects, xtr kit is not mirror and its going with a part groupset, so i wanted it more matt.

Heres some photos as it went through. Ive skipped a few images, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20210515_100244.jpg
    20210515_100244.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210515_114721.jpg
    20210515_114721.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210515_103827.jpg
    20210515_103827.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 129
And here they are finished, back on the worktop. 2 hours work, but very much worth it.

So whats my point? Well, with prices rising, i cant afford a lot of this kit anymore and im sure some of you feel the same. However, with a bit of elbow grease a a few quids worth of reusable tools, you can get it for far less. There plenty of scabby stuff out there and hopefully this will inspire you......even if its just a bit of polishing with a rag.

So why not have a go.....i suggest you start on something lower in the food chain you can hide if it goes wrong, but its not rocket science really. I bet it comes out better than you think.

I would love to see your results and see some unloved kit back on the road.

Attachments

• 20210515_120534.jpg
    20210515_120534.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 101
Tempted with these myself, a quick polish and new decals and they should come up great.

The arms were lacquered from memory.

Yes lacquered, but quite dull compaired to the earlier xt stuff.

Quick polish may have been a little optimistic.

Yes lacquered, but quite dull compaired to the earlier xt stuff.

Quick polish may have been a little optimistic.
A cheap polishing wheel is all you need, and its pretty satisfying when you have finished, and both xt and xtr are lacquered which is the only thing wrong with making it all shine, you can see its be resurrected, but as the OP says its saves a fortune for just a little effort.

xt cont.jpg handmade polisher, a life saver.....jpg xt cont.jpg strarting to get there now.....jpg

Sadly a polishing wheel was not going to cut through the alloy. That's not lacquer peeling in the first picture its alloy!

But yes, a polishing wheel makes life much easier for the latter stages. Its what i eould normally use.

Looks like some nice work there. I too find it quite cathartic.

Hopefully it will encourage some people to have a go with just the outlay for a multi grade pack of wet and dry and some autosol metal polish!

What tools did you use for this then?

Debating whether I should invest in something more than just elbow grease for future projects.

Bear in mind, no workshop or work bench for me; just a dining room table. Albeit it outside on the porch!

Those came out lovely, by the way.

Back