XT V-brake parallelogram advice

Daipink

Old School Hero
Bought a set of these recently on here, tried fitting to my mid-90s Kona AA this afternoon and can't work them out at all. Frame originally had cantilevers so has canti bosses with 3 holes. When caliper fitted lined up to middle hole it doesn't spring back from the rim. If using top hole parallelogram doesn't line up with rim? At the moment I am giving up and refitting old Deore V-brakes.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong and whether it's worth the hassle to figure it out?

Re:

Don't forget there's a screw to adjust tension as well. In the past I've had to bend springs slightly to get v-brakes set right.

Re:

Thanks I tried this fully out and fully screwed in but neither seem to work. Anyhow given up now and going to leave it with LBS to finish off as needs forks swapping anyway and I don't enjoy bike maintenance as much as I used too anymore! Back stop is I'll just use the big standard v brakes I already have.

Re:

Some models of xt v brakes used to squeal and howl like mad- despite careful setup, so you might have saved yourself some earache. mine were so bad i flogged them.

Back