WTB Bon Tempe restoration

small update as things are moving but.. very slowly

I found a WTB SST.98 saddle a while back. It was WTB's top of the line saddle back in the late 90's.
Very nice quality as it was produced by Selle in Italy. Also pictured on a Bon Tempe in the WTB catalog from '98 so very much period correct / catalog spec
IMG_8572.jpeg
I had one already but it's nos in the og box so i didn't want to use that one 😇
IMG_8573.jpeg

WTB is famous for it's Rollercam brakes design (later licensed by SunTour) but those require different placement of brake bosses so not an option for a Bon Tempe frame.

They also made more standard Cantilever brakes but that would require some creative solutions on a full suspension bike.. so i had to look elsewhere.

I was lucky enough to notice Norman aka bike_keller was selling some Avid Arch Supremes and thought they would be perfect for this build👍
IMG_9643.jpeg

Last edited:
About 2 years ago i spotted an ad on a local classified website saying “WTB 26” silver 32h rims” for sale..
Kinda weird as WTB didnt have too many rim options available in 26”, definitely not circa 2021… so i had to check it out -

the ad took me to a website in Belgium and there was just a tiny non descript picture up and no model name listed…

..so you know I had to take a punt and upon arrival they turned out to be nos Laser Beam rims, some still in the plastic - score!
IMG_6306.jpeg

I ended up with about 20 of them and sold most of them on to fellow collectors, mostly in Germany.
IMG_6344.jpeg

I kept a few for myself obviously, these will do nicely for this build.
The production sticker reads Oct-Dec’98 so they couldn’t be more period correct 😎
IMG_9647.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Slackboy,I know that frame,it belonged to my best mate,I sold my Bon tempe here on retrobike a couple of years back .Mine was the Titanium version.They are very nice bikes we loved them.
The point of my post to you is I found a pair of pivots,brand new supplied to me by WTB ,at the back of the cupboard.
If you are interested in them pm me

Attachments

• F569CD7D-662C-4F2F-8D33-AF2B89006373.jpeg
    F569CD7D-662C-4F2F-8D33-AF2B89006373.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 4132840D-F3B4-4FDA-A1BF-913238170E6A.jpeg
    4132840D-F3B4-4FDA-A1BF-913238170E6A.jpeg
    674 KB · Views: 9
small update as things are moving but.. very slowly

I found a WTB SST.98 saddle a while back. It was WTB's top of the line saddle back in the late 90's.
Very nice quality as it was produced by Selle in Italy. Also pictured on a Bon Tempe in the WTB catalog from '98 so very much period correct / catalog spec
View attachment 749560
I had one already but it's nos in the og box so i didn't want to use that one 😇
View attachment 749561

Best saddle ever made IMO, ran them for years, super-comfy and near indestructible! 😎

Sorry for the lack of updates, currently there is not much progress to report.

I did manage to find a pair of hubs i wanted, currently only have the rear at home, front will follow later this year.
They’re used but will be fine for this project. I’ve heard you can put a titanium XTR axle in these so I might just do that.

IMG_9764.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome project! Can I ask if you plan to get Velociraptors for tyres? I am currently trying to get new ones since WTB still makes them and only in 26x2.1. It‘s just a bit hard to get them in Europe.

Back