WTB Bon Tempe restoration

Stylus

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Guess it's about time to share some updates about this project.
Lots of stuff to do still, so follow along for 'the ride' ;)

img_0381-jpg.557056

I got this as a frame and seatpost last year. Frame was sold right here on retrobike.

WTB is mostly known for tires and saddles these days but have a deep MTB legacy and designed and produced a lot of parts back in the day.
They only ever sold 2 models of frames and the hardtail Phoenix is the most desirable.

In the late 90’s they developed this full suspension ‘Bon Tempe’ model but only around 100-125 were made. There are 12 with a handmade titanium rear end and this is NOT one of those. This is #25 with aluminum rear end.
It never really took off due to the issues with URT (Unified Rear Triangle) suspension. That said, i have a soft spot for WTB and everything they did so when this one came up I had to have it.

There are some issues, most notably the seatpost is cut short. This was meant to be done based on rider lenght; too much post out the bottom end it would interfere with max compression suspention travel.
Thing is, i'm a little bit taller than the previous owner and i fear it's too short for me.
Also, the seatpost diameter is very specific (as in massive), these posts were made for these frames and its not like you can just get another one.

The other issue for me is the condition of the rear triangle of the frame. There are some deeper scratches from use and there was some paint applied as anti cable rub measure. So that needs sorting.

And then it's on for the fun bit, buying parts!

Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Seatpost size is 1.5" diameter, as in 38.1 mm

The plan is to buy 2 ft of stock aluminum tube and have my framebuilder friend replace the main tube.

Small parts update

nos WTB chainstay protector
nos WTB New Paradigm 1 1/8” headset
new DKG Flip Lock clamp
104B163E-511B-4E61-BF56-E26B11BFE320.jpeg

Both the chainstay protector and headset have been sitting in my parts bin for about 10 years. Bought those for another project but the full name branding on the chainstay protector was a little bit overkill.. but oh so perfect for this.

The headset is from WTB’s top component series ‘New Paradigm’ from the late 90’s and comes with rubber O-rings to seal of the GreaseGuard holes. GreaseGuard means you can lubricate the bearings from the outside and was featured on many WTB series components, and later licensed to Suntour.

The frame did come with a seatpost clamp, but in black. I prefer silver to match headset, stem, rims, seatpost etc. Now as stated before the seatpost size is mahoosive so getting a replacement clamp would seem impossible.. however, DKG makes one and DKG also happens to be the machine shop that produced most of the Classic series WTB parts (think brakes, brake bridges, etc.) So this is a fitting replacement.

Last edited:
Here’s some pics of the frame condition how i got it. Not bad at all, i was scratching my head on how to remove the black paint without touching the finish underneath, i also didnt really see how i could touch up all the scratches, some were just too deep

Attachments

• IMG_8901.jpeg
    IMG_8901.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8903.jpeg
    IMG_8903.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8902.jpeg
    IMG_8902.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8900.jpeg
    IMG_8900.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8899.jpeg
    IMG_8899.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8898.jpeg
    IMG_8898.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 14
I talked to Fred and Mark at WTB but they couldnt remember what the original finish or colourcode on the frame was: quite possibly even a hard anodizing, it was applied by a sub contractor. I don’t think these frame were build in house by WTB (unlike the Phoenix).

Anyway, after some deliberation i had the rear triangle stripped and painted.
It’s close enough for me:

IMG_9103.jpeg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back