Winter Rides....what you using?

Peak retrobike, now retro in itself, some days I feel like last man standing

There are still a few of us, ah yes BiTD of retrorides, nationals and cheap old bikes.

Just bought a smart trainer (Tacx Vortex), and a road bike - 2008 Giant OCR1 for £50 - to use on it.

The thinking behind this is because I've lost so much confidence, and my fitness is much further away from where I thought it was, so I've tried to anticipate excuses for not riding.

In addition I'll only get stranded in the spare bedroom rather than miles from home if I have any problems.

Last edited:
This is my winter ride to take the dog out and go to the shops.I converted to e-bike while waiting hip operation then I'll be back on the pedals.

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_161618590.jpg
    IMG_20220702_161618590.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 19
  • GT crackle.jpg
    GT crackle.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
I’ve moved my winter riding mostly onto the road now simply due to the amount of time cleaning bikes/clothing takes when riding off road either gravel or mtb

So currently I’m on my supersix when it’s damp/dry/get caught out , and a Planet X London road with guards when it’s horrible out. The winter mtb is a kingdom but hasn’t turned a wheel in a year

Last edited:
Same as every year for the past 4 or 5. Coyote gravel Pro. Change the tyres to 28s, reapply the mud guards and off we go for another year of trashed chains, wet feet and cold hands. I hate it, but really I love it.

I got fed up of trashing my decent hardtails over winter so bought a winter specific ride for relatively (imo) little outlay. Don't mind destroying it and very little to go wrong!

On one Bootzipper ordered last Oct and arrived in less than a fortnight!

Does me great for winter night riding around Delamere.

DSC_0819.JPG

Back