Why do you collect retro bikes?

I grew up around classic cars, and old stuff in general, seeing all sorts of things being restored. Later on my situations changed and I could no longer afford it. Then 3 years ago I had a real life changing event, came out the other side of it and needed something. An excuse to get more active and give me something to do that didn't cost much. My local tip had a shop, their various items includd bikes, so I bought the best I could find, an old giant, closely followed by a marin and really enjoyed giving it a service and getting me out into local countryside, seeing local history and loads of places I was previously unaware of. Seeing my local history was something that really kept me going wondering what was round the corner. The old bikes were great but had their problems everytime I took the marin out I found I had something to do, but because I was enjoying the bike riding so much I went out and bought a brand new specialized rockhopper. Great for a reliable easier ride, and its made me give myself bigger challenges, but I cant stay away from the old stuff. Ive been given afew bikes recently and still go to the tip to see if there'd anything decent turn up. I've currently got my new rockhopper, rockhopper bmx cruiser, and the marin is being slowly built using nicer bits that I find, then there's the unknown vintage mtb with front suspension that in going to put together using older bits I find. There's also a pile of bikes in the garden for spares.
So, basically, playing about with old nuts and bolts, local history, countryside, getting a bit active, mental health. And old stuff.

Last edited:
I grew up around classic cars, and old stuff in general, seeing all sorts of things being restored. Later on my situations changed and I could no longer afford it. Then 3 years ago I had a real life changing event, came out the other side of it and needed something. An excuse to get more active and give me something to do that didn't cost much. My local tip had a shop, their various items includd bikes, so I bought the best I could find, an old giant, closely followed by a marin and really enjoyed giving it a service and getting me out into local countryside, seeing local history and loads of places I was previously unaware of. Seeing my local history was something that really kept me going wondering what was round the corner. The old bikes were great but had their problems everytime I took the marin out I found I had something to do, but because I was enjoying the bike riding so much I went out and bought a brand new specialized rockhopper. Great for a reliable easier ride, and its made me give myself bigger challenges, but I cant stay away from the old stuff. Ive been given afew bikes recently and still go to the tip to see if there'd anything decent turn up. I've currently got my new rockhopper, rockhopper bmx cruiser, and the marin is being slowly built using nicer bits that I find, then there's the unknown vintage mtb with front suspension that in going to put together using older bits I find. There's also a pile of bikes in the garden for spares.
So, basically, playing about with old nuts and bolts, local history, countryside, getting a bit active. And old stuff.
I like that 🥰

I'm here cause I always lusted after a marin b17, one came up on market place cheap, but the wheels don't match. Came here to see what's for sale and now I'm being pulled into looking at bikes I don't need but plan to put on my workshop wall which is also not built yet.... I suspect I may be afflicted by the curse.

I'm here cause I always lusted after a marin b17, one came up on market place cheap, but the wheels don't match. Came here to see what's for sale and now I'm being pulled into looking at bikes I don't need but plan to put on my workshop wall which is also not built yet.... I suspect I may be afflicted by the curse.
I know what you mean, I now want a Brodie.

Ha, you said them! So it's more than one wich means you also collect them.

That means that I have to recognise that I have two problems: One I didn´t realised that I have a problem and two I collect bicycles 🧐

But all is more simple: I need them all. One has this pourpose, the other has other pourpose etc etc 10 times.

They are my family and I have a new "baby" ... how can you say that barbarian thing, "I collect babies" .... It is so cute ... It is so well come ... This will born the 24 or 25 🥰👨‍👧‍👦🧸🍼🍼👼🍼🫶❤️

1703174997799.jpeg

You need to sample a Hydropneumatic Citroen (CX, BX, XM, Xantia etc or to a lesser degree C5 (not quite as nice) for example should still be attainable for sensible money). Crappy ride? Depends whether you like suspension that Rolls Royce felt the need to licence from PSA & sitting on what are basically big leather armchairs. Noisy? maybe if you take the exhaust off. Brakes... like an HGV pedal, virtually no "feel" but ALL the power you could ever want.

Mind you, if you start to miss the qualities you mention just leave the Cit' 5 years or so without changing any spheres & you'll return to all of the above and more lol
Yes, Citroens, I'm the same...

So to contribute here, I'm the owner of a bike I bought in 1980 [Carlton Corsair], toured it through the Scottish Highlands several times and ride it regularly - still own it, still love it. I bought a Team Marin in 1997 and use it to ride the southern Cairngorms tracks and trails, it's 27 years young and still rides superbly. I bought it because the new models were all coming with front suspension, which I checked-out but viewed as just adding weight. I also believe that steel bikes, properly cared for, will last generations [maybe]. So, I buy road bikes from the mid-70's to mid-80's as I think they are the pinnacle of properly made/competent road bikes. I own MTB's from the mid-90's as I feel that was the pinnacle there too.

I also have a sense that I'm acting as, to some degree, a custodian of a piece of engineering excellence, made by craftsmen who cared about the quality of the things that they made. additionally, they're Eco, that makes me feel good. I love bikes too as I view them as one of mankind's greatest inventions. Anyway, that's my reasons for being a retrobiker.... ! Also, like GIGFY, I'm tight and they are often ridiculously cheap to buy!!

Back