Why do you collect retro bikes?

Re: Re:

troje":24nmk6rd said:
Because they are beautiful! A sleek steel frame with thin long tubes, nothing looks better than that. Add amber wall tyres, some titanium bling and a clean 3 x 8 drivetrain for more awesomeness. And they ride how they look. Clean, fast, sleek, nimble. The early nineties were the pinnacle of bike engineering. Modern stuff is functional, nothing more than that.

Where's the 'like' button when we need it!

Re: Re:

rwm1962":as11rsay said:
brocklanders023":as11rsay said:
After being scammed online last year when selling a modern bike I've lost all interest in buying/selling/collecting. To be honest I'd probably come to the end of the retro collecting road anyway so this just gave me a shove to spend less time looking on ebay and forums and more time to the real world! :facepalm: :LOL:

I got rid of most of what I had so only have a small collection left and plan to thin it further although I will always keep my mint 92 Clockwork and probably one of my 89 Saracens for nostalgic reasons.

I remember that. Sad to hear. Some times these things run their course anyway. Glad to hear you're keeping the Clocky!

Cheers mate. Yeah, still love retro but just have no interest in getting stung again!

Re:

I don't want to, I just can't afford a new bike.

al.

it does the wifes head in.sometimes think it would be cheaper having a d... habit at times.but finding the part you have wanted since a teenager is like finding the holy grail also the oily/dusty smell if its been hidden away in the back of a shed somewhere.

I enjoy the aftermath of the chase, that moment, when the assembly is complete, its been tweaked, adjusted, fettled, polished, cleaned, had its moment in the woods to bed it all in, then re-cleaned, re adjusted, and propped up nice and safe, you grab a cup of tea, sit back in the comfy chair with a 30 year old copy of MBUK/MBA, and you keep glancing up to look at it. Some times with a feeling of achievement, sometimes a sense of satisfaction, but more often than not, it conjours up a that magical feeling, like the fella that fabricated it, full of passion, full of wonder.

Im perhaps the only one i dont know, but i can sit and look at a bike for hours, questioning the design, the reasons for build direction, the spec choices, even the colours used.

Joe Breeze said the Paint is only a veneer, others have said if it looks right it is right,

I can spend as much time enjoying looking as riding. Once bicycles take hold of you they rarely let you go.

I guess for most of us, for many different reason this happened at the foot of the journey that was called the Mountain bike, an era born of our time, and it grabbed hold of us, and has yet to let us go....................... if ever.

And for that im grateful.

You not the only one....

"I enjoy the aftermath of the chase, that moment, when the assembly is complete, its been tweaked, adjusted, fettled, polished, cleaned, had its moment in the woods to bed it all in, then re-cleaned, re adjusted, and propped up nice and safe, you grab a cup of tea, sit back in the comfy chair with a 30 year old copy of MBUK/MBA, and you keep glancing up to look at it. Some times with a feeling of achievement, sometimes a sense of satisfaction, but more often than not, it conjours up a that magical feeling, like the fella that fabricated it, full of passion, full of wonder."

So true.

Been collecting parts for 3 years form all over the world for the rebuild of my first moutain bike.

Back