White Onza Porc Tyres are back.. kinda..

Re: Re:

sinnerman":1foy11jq said:
Lets be real though, setting aside nostaglia, they werent any good back in the day. They looked cool, but ran terrible, worn out the moment you looked at them, and were only good in white the day you bought them. After that shit.

And yet here we are what 30 years later all clambering for them for our builds.... :facepalm:
I think the essence of that ^ holds for a lot of retro parts we're all craving for.. ;) :LOL:
Guess they could've done a better job in bringing the ol' white Porcs to current standard while maintaining (more of) its original characteristics.

Double-E F":z6ear5oz said:
sinnerman":z6ear5oz said:
Lets be real though, setting aside nostaglia, they werent any good back in the day. They looked cool, but ran terrible, worn out the moment you looked at them, and were only good in white the day you bought them. After that shit.

And yet here we are what 30 years later all clambering for them for our builds.... :facepalm:
I think the essence of that ^ holds for a lot of retro parts we're all craving for.. ;) :LOL:
Guess they could've done a better job in bringing the ol' white Porcs to current standard while maintaining (more of) its original characteristics.

I agree completely, what we spend far out ways its real value im sure.

Looking at the new tyre, i would hope the new compounds and modified tread pattern is a vast improvement on the old though, but with the more modern application, it really needs to be.

Shame about the decals though, i understand the newer lean toward the graphic, keeping up with the jones for that mordern race look etc.....but it would have been nice for the more subtle logo to have been retained.

i guess its a tyre, nothing more and they are looking for ways to stand apart, much in the same way as BITD.

If the modern application is as successful as the old, they will have a sold out winner.

sinnerman":153jd80y said:
jimo746":153jd80y said:
It's just the name. They bear no resemblance to the old Porcs :(

Absolutely agree.

A pair came with my muddy fox but i threw them out as they were rubbish and looked rubbish, and they were filthy, which wasnt cleaning off.

Onza didn't to my knowledge have any reputation whatsoever on tyres.

Remember Octopus tyres
-
I think they got the idea from a 1970's soap holder -

Attachments

• onzaoctopus_336.jpg
    onzaoctopus_336.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 206
Re:

I only agree partially with Sinnerman. They were good, but as said: only for a while. The rubber was so soft it was like you had glue on your tyres... when they were brand new. After a couple of rides, it was as if someone had shaved off the knobs.

Re:

I was absolutely nuts for porcs during the time they were available. I did carry my bike to the trailhead, never let them touch anything hard except for garage floor. My area was sandy dirt, roots & no rocks. They were perfect

Tire itself looks like good alternative to Nobby Nic. Doesnt have much in common with old Porcupine, but for riding that is a good thing :D
White version could have some collectible potential.. Might be getting pair just to have them for future retro build :)

Back