Where to find 7 speed freewheel

Carlton_gang

Dirt Disciple
Posted in the mtb section, but perhaps someone here will know.
Looking for a 7 speed freewheel to replace a worn out Sachs 13-32 ARIS one on my tandem. The bike has a Shimano mech though, so that *should* make finding indexing freewheels easy.
I'm really struggling to find one that's a 13-32 or 14-32. They all seem to either be 13-28 or have a massive jump from 25 all the way to 34 which my deore LX won't handle (I want to stay in spec because of the power dealt with on a tandem)
I'd really like to get a freewheel that has more rationally spaced gears than the mega range ones and some sort of hyperglide like teeth since on the tandem sometimes shifting under some load is unavoidable. The only on I could find was an IRD one and that was 65 pounds and at that price I'd be better off putting it to a freehubbed hub.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

80 dollars for a freewheel! At that rate I'd be better off buying a new IRD one.
Perhaps including the sachs bit was unhelpful, I'm looking more for hyperglide style ones not the weird halfway thing sachs did.

Re:

Annoyingly not, on their website the ones they list are either 13/14-28 or 14-34. They do make a 13-32 but it's an 8 speed. It seems that no one likes the humble 32t anymore.

Carlton_gang":1rmcqrch said:
Posted in the mtb section, but perhaps someone here will know.
Looking for a 7 speed freewheel to replace a worn out Sachs 13-32 ARIS one on my tandem. The bike has a Shimano mech though, so that *should* make finding indexing freewheels easy.
I'm really struggling to find one that's a 13-32 or 14-32. They all seem to either be 13-28 or have a massive jump from 25 all the way to 34 which my deore LX won't handle (I want to stay in spec because of the power dealt with on a tandem)
I'd really like to get a freewheel that has more rationally spaced gears than the mega range ones and some sort of hyperglide like teeth since on the tandem sometimes shifting under some load is unavoidable. The only on I could find was an IRD one and that was 65 pounds and at that price I'd be better off putting it to a freehubbed hub.

you might have to go 28t and change the chainrings to suit!

some 8speed freewheels can have the 13t cog removed without issue, making it 7speed.

mdvineng":9tw1m8nw said:
you might have to go 28t and change the chainrings to suit!

I was starting to come to this conclusion myself. Most modern 8 speed ones I could find use a locking tool which is good,
although hard to then remove one cog, although I couldn't actually find the tool available for sale.

I might ask on the wanted section for a 13-32 Shimano or similar as a last ditch attempt.

Back