Wheel Building with 2nd hand parts, opinions wanted...

No difference......same number of push / pull (leading / trailing) spokes. Just do it the way it was or you will see all the marks from the previous spokes....so purely aesthetic reasons.

If you want to make your like easier fit the spokes going towards the opposite flange on each side first....that way your not trying to lace the crossing spokes through a forest of spokes.
I'll build it as per the marks on the hub and try to ignore the OCD-ness of the front & rear wheels not being laced exactly the same.

Thanks for the tip on order of spokes, I already knew that but it's nice of you to point it out in case I didn't know. BITD I was lazy and used to leave all spokes in the hub when changing a bent rim 'cos I was always in a rush to get back cycling, now I tend to pull it all apart, inspect and then reassemble.

Given it’s a Hope hub, definitely build it how it was previously.

That said, given it’s a Hope hub it doesn’t really matter as it’s going to fail anyway.

This ^^^. If you're going to be riding the bike then cross your fingers each ride, I've had 2 PAIRS!! of Hope Ti/Ti Glide hubbed wheels fail in the last few years & I'll never get another set.
A pre-built set of wheels is a better option, might last a bit longer.

This ^^^. If you're going to be riding the bike then cross your fingers each ride, I've had 2 PAIRS!! of Hope Ti/Ti Glide hubbed wheels fail in the last few years & I'll never get another set.

To quote myself from earlier in this thread...

It's got to be Ti-Glide, anything else is not an option.
As far as I'm concerned if this bike can't run a rear disc then it's an ornament on the garage wall and at that point it's effectively scrap.

A pre-built set of wheels is a better option, might last a bit longer.
I'm curious why do you feel pre-built is a better option ?
I've built my own wheels for decades and never had a wheel fail, I've trashed a fair few pre-built wheels over the years but never one I've built myself.

Pre-built, as in not re-using a hub into a 2nd build.
Ah, not what I thought you meant. To me pre-built is a wheel that is supplied ready to ride rather than assembling the component parts yourself.

Where am I supposed to find a brand new never been built Hope Ti-Glide hub ? because as I've stated repeatedly any other hub is not an option in this instance.

In my experience rebuilding hubs and rims isn't a problem if you can build a strong wheel, I've one particular XT hub that is now on it's 4th rim and only 2nd set of spokes.

Ah, not what I thought you meant. To me pre-built is a wheel that is supplied ready to ride rather than assembling the component parts yourself.

Where am I supposed to find a brand new never been built Hope Ti-Glide hub ? because as I've stated repeatedly any other hub is not an option in this instance.

In my experience rebuilding hubs and rims isn't a problem if you can build a strong wheel, I've one particular XT hub that is now on it's 4th rim and only 2nd set of spokes.
The way I see it, the rebuilding isn’t the issue.

If you could get a nos ti-glide, knowing what we do about then you’d be building a wheel with a very finite life span.

So rebuilding a used hub is like, I’d be surprised if you get it up to tension without it cracking.

I’d say it’s a sensible assumption that a ‘pre-built’ wheel where the hub is on its first build might be likely to last longer than a wheel you build with a used hub - regardless of whether you follow the previous build or not - due to the cycles of stress that the flanges will have gone through.

Did you remove the hub from its previous wheel? Did you do so by evenly and gradually de-tensioning the spokes rather than cutting them?

Ti glide isn't the only option for the Hope rear disc adapter. You can use the short rear axle & end cap in the XC, the same end cap will also fit a bulb but you will either need to find a rare short axle for it or shorten the original axle to suit. There's even Short axles & end caps (rare) available for the Hope Big un.

Attachments

• 20170323_140347.JPG
    20170323_140347.JPG
    721.4 KB · Views: 7
So rebuilding a used hub is like, I’d be surprised if you get it up to tension without it cracking.

I'll report back whether or not it cracks when fully tensioned and also when I've ridden it in anger.

Did you remove the hub from its previous wheel? Did you do so by evenly and gradually de-tensioning the spokes rather than cutting them?

I didn't remove it, I bought it from a member on here and he said he de-tensioned it carefully so it's in with a fair chance of being re-useable.

Ti glide isn't the only option for the Hope rear disc adapter. You can use the short rear axle & end cap in the XC, the same end cap will also fit a bulb but you will either need to find a rare short axle for it or shorten the original axle to suit. There's even Short axles & end caps (rare) available for the Hope Big un.
Oooh !!!

Thank you very much for that information, that's very handy to know. I have a lathe so I could easily turndown an axle to match the Hope dropout.

I don't know if it's relevant but my bolt-on Hope disc conversion isn't the same as that, it doesn't have the torsion bar running up to the canti boss, it has a ally clamp that fastens around the chainstay.

Back