What's your 26" road tyre choice?

Charge splashback? They come in 1.8 and 2.1...can be pumped up to a reasonable psi too. I run them on a few mtbs that I regularly use on road / canal path etc and I find them great...fast rolling, low resistance, pretty grippy. Look cool too
(klein 2.1, kona 1.8...)

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_160339.jpg
    IMG_20210702_160339.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200509_135548.jpg
    20200509_135548.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
My Favourite are maxxis Hookworm, but thats going back to my street and BMX track days. I found them fast rolling but super grippy too. Again difficult to find in 26", as are all tyres, however i just noticed they do them in 29" which is cool.

My Favourite are maxxis Hookworm, but thats going back to my street and BMX track days. I found them fast rolling but super grippy too. Again difficult to find in 26", as are all tyres, however i just noticed they do them in 29" which is cool.
I picked up a pair of 26" x 2.5 hookworms from a friend last week, for a bike I wanted to build, but the frame I ended up with is a 29er, so I would let them go.

Other urban 26" tyres I've run are Halo Twinrails 26x2.2, Schwalbe Billy bonkers 26x2.1 and I'm about to get some Schwalbe fat Frank's for my beach cruiser.
There's plenty of choice out there.

On my dedicated on-pavemet bike (by choice, it certainly has the gears and brakes for trail riding) I run CityJet copies in 1.95 size cause my local hardware store had them in stock for cheap and I wanted to try it they're a good fit for my needs - well them things ain't coming off till they dryrot and split, they're wicked good for easy pedaling and cut thru water like it ain't there and the only thing that makes them dance a bit is loose dry dirt blown onto the asphalt. Also the small glass pieces the local pub patrons love to drop all over the place ain't a huge concern anymore. I'd imagine the real CityJets would be even better at everything lol.

I also run "dirt jump" tires on the bikes with more suspension - DMR Moto and Kenda K-Rad to be exact. Both roll very easy, the DMR feeling a bit faster cause the blocks essentially overlap and the voids between them are small. The K-Rad is quite a bit more grippy tho, I've actually taken those to the black & red trails up in Hamsterley and while I could feel the bike sliding a bit it was never dangerously so. If you're riding in urban environment with lousy pavement surface K-rad in 2.35 would be my weapon of choice.

My favorite recently was the Schwalbe Durano in 26" but 28mm width. Fast and light, just a little fragile. Sadly they don't seem to be made any more.

Some good tyres mentioned to far. I have good experiences with City Jets and Marathons - though there's a lot of different variations of the Marathons and I found some heavier and not as nice rolling. For out and out speed/low rolling resistance Continental GPs are good. I think Panaracer RiBMos are still readily available and I can recommend them - I use them on my single speed. It dpeneds what you are looking for, as they are not the lightest - I wrote a review here after switching to them from Continental GPs:

Well I finally made a decision, to be fair it was a balance between my desired tyre and price. I bought a pair of Maxxis Cross+Mark tyres from a fellow Retrobike.

I am really happy with the looks & ride comfort. I plan on sticking with them, thanks for all your suggestions :)

IMG_20220911_183138710.jpg

Continental Race King, the Protection version is even better than the already good standard version. Have them in size 2.2
Very low rolling resistance, haven't found anything better.

Back