Whats going on with the mail

I'm thinking it's a bit random. I use Royal Mail and Correos only. I have been in contact with HMRC over the years and they admit that it isn't possible to check every box. A few yrs ago I was thinking of importing some stuff on a regular basis for personal use. Their advice was to obtain an import licence to avoid any sort of duties or keep the number of boxes down to a reasonable amount. They once confiscated 12 bottles of Gin, despite VAT being paid. They sent me a letter asking if I wanted to pay duty and have the bottles sent to me, but here's the problem, they only correspond via letters and give you three weeks from when the letter was written. So if it's written Monday and posted out later in the week via the slowest paid. You reply and when it's read, the three weeks have gone and so have your bottles. I then contacted HMRC again and the advice was to only order 6 bottles at a time as we never stop those.
When filling in the customs declaration form as used for a sold item that might be nos, you and the customer need to have an agreement, also keeping a photographic record will help enormously when making a claim as does market trends. Filling in a form as used and claiming nos prices is asking to be called fraud, you have to be careful and smart.
My parcels to and from Spain currently run at 2/month and values range from £15<£200 all items individually described and values noted and marked as gifts with VAT paid locally at time of purchase. So far no issues at either end since the Covid lockdown at Barajas airport ended mid January. These parcels truly are gifts, as it's the only way my partner and I can treat each other until travel returns to normal. I lost any legal status to travel to Spain due to Brexit, hence the wait since last summer when the world shut down 🤷🏼‍♂️

To France from the UK:
+20% VAT (but depends on France specific VAT regulations for specific goods.
+ 0% Duty if goods are UK country of origin, so that would be Middleburn, Hope, etc.
+ A ? Duty applied if goods are not UK nor EU origin and valued at over 150 Eur. Depends on HS code.
- there is / was a 22 Eur cut-off soon to be scrapped.
+ A ? Customs Clarence fee depending on which Customs Agent the buyer chooses; typical default that of
La Poste in relation with Royal Mail would work best, otherwise, rip-off fees from Fed Ex and Co.

I read an article on my local news site (VRT NWS) today about how things are going 3 months after Brexit. Unfortunately it's in Dutch, but I did run a part through Google Translate (because I'm too lazy to translate it myself)

anyone who thinks that everything has remained the same is mistaken. A look at the figures makes a lot clear: British exports to the European Union fell by more than 40% in the first months of this year. According to the FDF (Food and Drink Federation), food exports even fell by 75% in January. The corona crisis is to blame for some of that, but the biggest culprit is the increased "red tape".

Smaller British manufacturers of stilton and cheddar cheese, for example, are in particular in trouble, but shellfish and pork producers are also struggling with the increased costs of transport to the EU.
The Scots have also been affected, as exports of Scottish salmon and whiskey have plummeted. These exports are expected to recover - partially - in the coming months, but the FDF nevertheless called the situation "extremely worrying".

For the time being, exports in the opposite direction have been hit less hard, falling by 28% in January. Flemish companies speak of a decrease of only 6 percent, according to Voka. There is also an explanation for this: for fear of the scenario of the "empty store shelves" - the United Kingdom imports 40% of its fresh food from the EU - the British have quietly postponed checks on their territory until 2022. For the time being no queues in Calais or Zeebrugge.

So for now it's relatively safe for UK members to buy from EU members. Not so much the other way round.

Latest posts

Back