What year is my Orange P7

Barney484

Dirt Disciple
I'm a newbie to Retrobike. I've just bought a P7 as a basis for a restoration project. I'd like to find out what year it is. The number under the bottom bracket shell looks like "YM00302458". It's the nickel plated variant and the front brake mounts are on the rear of the fork. The eBay seller had it down as '98 but I just saw a '98 catalogue that said the P7 had a powder coat finish that year? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

That's in line with my 2001 P7 which is silver & YM00604368. Your frame number indicates it was manufactured in March 2000. It should have rear disk mounts. A 98 won't. 98 catalogue only lists 2 colours for that year - Team Orange & Dormant Red.

Pics would help further.

Last edited:
If it's this one it's a 2000

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks rwm1962!
It is the very same bike that you found on eBay and as you can see the seller told me it was 1998. I take it that your bike from that year had the same finish and unusual front brake mount position?
I bought this to replace an older P7 that I had stolen recently. My initial idea was to replace the fork with a Project 2 (as per my stolen bike) but what do you think of the fork that's fitted?

It's original. I'd keep it on. Mine's the following catalogue year with different decals (plus a few extra, some to cover marks!). Silver paint finish. Yours looks painted same rather than nickel plated same as mine.

Capture.JPG

Maybe you're right about keeping the fork. It feels nice to ride and Project 2 forks seem quite hard to find these days.
I'm no expert but it looks like a plated finish rather than paint.
Does yours have the original stem. If so what is it? Mine has a Merida Comp but I don't think it's the original. Are your handlebars flat or riser bars? Don't suppose you know where there is a 2001 brochure?

Yours is 2000 but I've put 2000 & 2001 below plus 2000 components. They came with an Orange Fido stem & Hot Rod 2 bars but you could spec the Supercross 2 risers. Mine has neither as I've fitted Thomson stem & Ergotec Humpert Space Bugel bars which are better suited to it's purpose as a tourer/commuter for me.

2000.JPG
y2k_comp.JPG

2001.JPG

Re the finish - never seen nickel this late & the pics do look like the same finish as mine - a very silver silver!

Auction pic
silver.JPG

Thanks for the documentation - it's really useful. I'm going to use mine as a commute bike so will probably change the bar and stem. Having the sizes and stem angles from the original spec. will be useful in making that choice. I've asked the question elsewhere but what's your opinion on 25.4 versus 31.8 bar/stem?
You are probably right about the finish - as I said I'm no expert. There are a few spots of rust and so I'm thinking of maybe powder coating it in the long term. Not sure about the availability of decals though?
Finally, I'm slightly puzzled that none of the documentation makes mention of the rigid fork.

RWM is right I think - Orange did a really fine, tough silver finish which is exceptionally high quality. I had a C16R in that silver and it was one of the best non-bespoke finishes which I have had - bar the cherry red metal flake which they did for a couple of years (the P7 which I had in that is now with Colin up North...).

Last edited:
Back