What would you ask jacquie phelan?

The transition from major figure to ordinary person can be very hard - lots of top athletes and Olympians really struggle with mental health when they make the transition - Check that it’s not an intrusive question but it’s an important issue.

Position of women in sport still important, can’t see why prize money is so different between male and female categories

Doping was rife in road racing - did she think mountain biking was clean and why the difference?

Let her know that people still think about her and Charlie Cunningham and the accident which he had - I am organising a ride to raise funds for Charlie this autumn. What’s their life like together now and how are things going?

Given the terrible serial concussion disaster of Lorraine Truong (one concussion and then a very swift second one - a known risk for serious and fatal injury) does she think that awareness of head injury has increased?
How has land access changed since the 90’s - what does she think about all this digging which is going on?

How hard was it to get sponsors and what was their attitude to females in the sport?

Caroline Alexander, Missy Giove, how did personalities and approaches differ across the top female riders? Is there a whole bunch of female riders of that time which we should know about but whose names are not common knowledge?

What was the best saddle? The Flite was A Very Narrow Thing....what did she use back in the day?

Biggest ‘off’, biggest ‘save’, biggest triumph. Lowest day.

Does she have a e-bike?

What’s the origin of the name Phelan? (It’s Irish....but there must be a story there....)
I can let Jacquie know about your fundraiser for her and Charlie as my partner talks to her regularly if you can send me or @longun a link I will ensure Jacquie and Charlie are aware 👍

Can't add to the very good questions above.......but, at risk of being thrown out here and you having a Skype blush:

From a very good source, it was customary to take ones top (jersey) off at the top after a sweaty climb in Marin country.

So the question, is it true or BS, and did you do it?

Eitherway, topped or topless I think she is great and did bucket loads for the MTB sport.

A really nerdy question is if the early big iconic bottle cage is the Mk1 Minori or not? 🤓

Would be cool to ask, her in regards to both of em Cunninghams Sports icons :

-Is there a plan to market or somehow beeing able to bring their latest model of rimbrake evolution back to the aftermarket custom frame world
even if that means someone else makes them in future.

well back then there was no instagram but chapman is following up wtb traditions in some way for the randonneur field

Maybe hand some of the not so spontaniously answerable questions over prior to date :)
and make sure there is some jacquiesque funkiness in the poetic phrasings of your questions as a pleasant suprprise..

Last edited:
Reactions: Woz
Some good questions here.

Some not great ones, too.

Not sure asking an icon like JP whether some topless rumor is true or not is a particularly good look.

In 2021 or ever.

the topless thingy has been asked and answered in other interviews already,

a newly fabbed greaseguard product line (oursourced of course) would get much recognition as Steve is doing something similar these days

I'm going to collate these and some more over tonight, tomorrow and fingers crossed get them sent this week. I plan to chat sunday :)

Really well, when I get some spare time I’m going to type it all up, transferring 2 hours of video chat to word may take some effort haha

Back