What would you ask jacquie phelan?

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I am doing a questions and answers with jacquie really soon and it's been thrown around that the questions could be good from you lot so........

With everything shes experienced what questions would you like to ask?

I've a few myself but would run out after a few minutes haha
Either post here or message me

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
The transition from major figure to ordinary person can be very hard - lots of top athletes and Olympians really struggle with mental health when they make the transition - Check that it’s not an intrusive question but it’s an important issue.

Position of women in sport still important, can’t see why prize money is so different between male and female categories

Doping was rife in road racing - did she think mountain biking was clean and why the difference?

Let her know that people still think about her and Charlie Cunningham and the accident which he had - I am organising a ride to raise funds for Charlie this autumn. What’s their life like together now and how are things going?

Given the terrible serial concussion disaster of Lorraine Truong (one concussion and then a very swift second one - a known risk for serious and fatal injury) does she think that awareness of head injury has increased?
How has land access changed since the 90’s - what does she think about all this digging which is going on?

How hard was it to get sponsors and what was their attitude to females in the sport?

Caroline Alexander, Missy Giove, how did personalities and approaches differ across the top female riders? Is there a whole bunch of female riders of that time which we should know about but whose names are not common knowledge?

What was the best saddle? The Flite was A Very Narrow Thing....what did she use back in the day?

Biggest ‘off’, biggest ‘save’, biggest triumph. Lowest day.

Does she have a e-bike?

What’s the origin of the name Phelan? (It’s Irish....but there must be a story there....)

Who/what inspired her to make her way into the sport in the first place?
Who gave her her first big break to enter the elite classes of MTB?
Where the heck did she get her wacky but epic look/style from?
What was her first MTB and does she still own it?
What (if any) sports was she into before MTB and why give them up?
Who was her biggest friends/rivals on the elite stage?
Did the skill/stamina needed for off road riding come naturally or did she have to work her ass off in training to compete at the highest level?

As someone who has seen all the changes in the sport and bikes, pretty much since the beginning, what is the best innovation? (As asked above) What was the best/favourite bike? Can we see photos of it? especially if there is a collection of bikes.
What was the most memorable Race?
And lastly where is her favourite place to ride?

Back