What tools do you use ? šŸ›  Park, Draper, Pedros, Lezyne.

What brand of bike tools do you prefer?

• Park Tools

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Draper

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lezyne

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Pedros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snap on

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Mix of any old thing

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

Joe*Pro

Senior Retro Guru
Im thinking of tidying up my tool tray. Itā€™s all a mix of mostly cheap B&Q stuff and on occasion itā€™s at risk of rounding a bolt or fraying a cable end, although I generally make do. But which brand do you prefer to use or do you feel is best worth the money ?

Iā€™m aware Park Tools sponsor almost every bike YouTube channel backdrop, but they seem grossly over priced to me on the face of it and often seem identical to Draper tools by design which are almost half the price.

If money wasnā€™t a factor, Lezyne tools seem much nicer and slightly better value, whilst a full set of pic & mix Draper tools might be the most sensible option on a budget.

I was also tempted to just dip all my handles in a consistent colour (blue or yellow) of this stuff so they are at least all matching to look at, even if I donā€™t swap them all out as quickly as budget might allow.

3EB09C3D-E626-4E3B-9B6A-CE936F0B7720.jpeg

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've always swapped when something has broken or doesn't seem fit for purpose. I don't think one brand covers everything better than another though, a mix is the way forward. However being as this is a hobby for me I don't use the tools as much as someone working as a bike mechanic so it takes longer to figure out what's best.

I like park stuff for bike specific jobs personally, and most of my other general kit is halfords pro/advanced. I do have a liking for knipex pliers though. Most of my Park stuff has lasted me over 12 years and no sign of issues.

For bike specific tools I don't think you can beat Park, if you had to pick just one. Abbey make some great quality tools, but they come at a cost and their range is limited. For other non bike specific tools (allen keys, spanner etc) I like Bahco, PB Swiss and Wera. That's from a home mechanic, rather than career mechanic, point of view.

The quality of snap on is unmatched, plus the masses of range. Even though snap on doesnā€™t do bike tools. I have a bahco screwdriver and itā€™s very good. Though I can survive in the bike mechanic world with cheap Amazon bike tools like a crank puller and a cassette removal tool. With things like Alan keys and spanners I just go down to my local machinemart and buy some Clarke tools, they do the job anywayšŸ˜€

Shimano, Unior, VAR, Cyclus, Cyclo, BBB, Icetoolz and homemade stuff works for me. Pretty much everything you didn't list :LOL:

I only have one Park tool, and even that I don't really use and get a long with - cassette lock nut remover requiring a stupid 1" socket.

+1 for Sandvik / Bahco and Knipex. More recently finding Lidl tools represent good value for money.

I've been transitioning to wera, knipex and abbey tools from park and automotive store low end stuff.

The tool I like most is a micro ratchet, it makes installing water bottle bolts, syncros and thomson seatposts a breeze.

For bike specific tools that I'm going to use a lot, its Park every time. I started my toolbox with generic cheapo stuff and its absolutely true that you buy cheap, you buy twice. Pedal spanners made of cheese, rounded allen keys. Just not worth it.

There are plenty of examples where you don't need to spend daft Park money - like their headset remover tool that they will charge you an arm and a leg for, where an unbranded one will be just as functional for infrequent use. Same as a headset press; unbranded amazon job works fine versus a silly money Park one. Keep an eye on ebay too for bargains.

Anything I'm going to use a lot though, it's Park. Plus, my OCD loves the matchy matchy blue handles.

And buy a workstand if ou haven't already got one (mine's a Park bottom of the range one). Absolute game changer and wish I could go back in time and tell my junior self to get one.

Back