What to do about slightly oversized (25.45 mm) handlebar

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a nice cromo handlebar, made by Nitto for a small independent brand from Japan. I bought it because it's rare these days to find a modern wide bar with a standard clamp size, made of quality materials.

The problem (if it can be called that) is whoever designed the bar made a mistake and the final diameter of the bulge is slightly oversized, at about 25.45 mm instead of 25.4. Maybe they forgot to take into account the thickness of the paint. But whatever.

To fit it to steel stems I've had to prise the stem open to get it in, and I assume the steel should be forgiving enough to conform to the larger bar. I've also got it to fit into alloy stems with a removable face plate, although I found when I try to remove the bar the face plate was stuck on and seemed to have locked on. With an alloy stem I'd be concerned about over stressing the faceplate due to it being bent so far out of shape.

An alternative should be to make a non-standard shim to use the bar with a 31.8 stem.

What should I do, apart from buy a new bike?

is it build specific? if it was utterly build specific I would be getting a machine shop to skim the stem to match the bar. Having measured the issues. But its mega expense and agro so I would NEED to want it.

Cheaper option, tape it off and just manually sand the clamped section of the bar or stem. Your talking about 0.05mm Although it sounds like its more than that to me.

At first I thought they'd sold me 26.0 bars by mistake, but the circumference of the bulge is way too small to be 26.0, and there's no way it cold be wider than 25.5 mm.

This is what I have:
https://sim.works/collections/handle-ba ... e-nick-bar

Only now do I understand this cryptic note:
"Skid proof and clear coating are applied as a final treatment on this item and the actual size is wider than the diameter on the each size description. Please be aware of the installation of the stem, levers, and lock-type grips which have very severe inner diameter."

So it seems they are aware the product is wider than 25.4 mm ...

Back