• Option One : 1991 Saracen Andes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Option Two : 1991 Saracen Traverse Competition Hydrotech

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Option Three : 1991 Saracen Trekker Competition Hydrotech

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Option Four : 1992 Saracen Tufftrax Elite

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Option Five : Weigh them all in for scrap and get a proper bike!

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I know I should be finishing off the two Saracen Kili Flyer Comps I've been slowly progressing through, but in the process of sorting out what parts I have and what I still need to find I've pulled out a few more unfinished projects.

I usually go for as close to original spec as possible with my builds so that is a consideration, but suggestions welcome.
I'm trying to decide what to do next and there are a few contenders...

Saracen_frames.jpg
---

Option One: 1991 Saracen Andes

91Andes_frameset.jpg

I picked this up at the Manchester Velodrome jumble a few years ago. My arm was twisted ever so slightly into buying it... But not that much.
Pros:
I have a all the black M550 Deore LX groupset for this bike so building up wouldn't require much in the way of searching for parts.
I like the colour orange.
Cons:
Not sure I really need another M550 LX bike to add to my collection.
Stem like a tiller.
Alternative plan:
Drop bar singlespeed with bar tape colour matched to the forks and stem.

---

Option Two : 1991 Saracen Traverse Competition Hydrotech

91Traverse-Comp-Hydrotech_frameset.jpg

I can't really remember who I got this from or when. Only that it was a Retrobike meet and beer was involved. Totally forgot that I had the fork and stem too until I found them stashed separately in the workshop.
Pros:
It's an e-stay!
I have most of the DX M650 parts required for this bike.
Catalogue specifies black wall tyres which will be so much easier to find.
Cons:
It only takes Magura Hydrostop brakes. Fortunately I have a set of the original brakes on the way.
Stem like a tiller.

---

Option Three : 1991 Saracen Trekker Competition Hydrotech

91Trekker-Comp-Hydrotech_frame.jpg

I was given this frame at one of the legendary Retrobike meets back in about 2012.
Pros:
Pretty rare, especially without any cracks. At least none I have found.
Cons:
1.1/4 inch headset and forks required. Saracen branded Tange Switchblades or Saracen branded Marzocchi suspension forks were the original options.
Needs stripping and powder-coating and will require repro decals as it has some evidence of corrosion under the original coating.
Also designed to only use Magura Hydrostop brakes.

---

Option Four : 1992 Saracen Tufftrax Elite

92Tufftrax-Elite_frameset.jpg

This frameset cost me next to nothing but does have a bit of corrosion on the top tube.
Pros:
I have plenty of scruffy LX and DX parts that can be utilised for this.
Would make for an easy low fuss build.
Cons:
As much as I love the 1992 Saracen model year, this one is a bit dull.

---

So what should I do first, or will it be usual case of simultaneous builds that progress no faster than glaciers.
Humour me by answering below and/or participating in my poll.

Thanks

Option 3 is very cool and would seem most challenging. See if you can source either fork option, while you're waiting build option2. (Although I did vote to bin them)

Last edited:
White Hydrotech FTW. Shouldn't get that wedged down the Suez with a stem like that.

either of the the e-stays, though having the forks and stem for the traverse sways my vote.

Start with Orange Hydrotech, setup and ready for its new clothes and getting the forks etc, while its white sister/brother? Hydrotech gets built up as that shouldn't be too much bother.

Hope Orange Hydro is back and ready when White finished.

Latest posts

Back